Duplicated Chromecast Groups [Ticket In]

No, I have tested with Tidal, so streaming from the Tidal app running on Windows.
But they are normally used within a Chromecast Group as a Roon Endpoint.

Actually, the majority of content is Internet Radio, either RTE Radio 1 or RTE LyricFM.

Thanks,
Simon.

Thanks, @simon_pepper. On our end, we’ve enabled full mDNS logging in Roon for your account. The Wireshark was close to providing the keystone we need for this investigation, but it doesn’t give complete mDNS traffic from within Roon. We’ll have that shortly once we pull logs from your account again.

In the meantime, please reboot your Core and let us know as soon as the Chromecast Group endpoint duplicates in available Zones. We’ll then pull logs from the event and should have full illumination into Roon’s logic with the new tracing enabled.

Hopefully, we’ll finally pin this down shortly.

Hi, Many thanks for the attention on this.

I have rebooted the Roon Core this afternoon.

I have just opened the Naim app to initiate some mDNS traffic on my network, as seen in the Wireshark dump. I can see plenty of mDNS traffic.

The duplication normally happens after the WAP has rebooted as part of the scheduled restart I had to implement to stop the Chromecast from disappearing from Roon, after 48 hours.

So will be back to you.

1 Like

And here we have the Endpoint Duplication

and in Audio setting, the Chromecast Group is duplicated on the same device, a Chromecast Audio

Hope this helps
Simon

1 Like

Hi @simon_pepper,

As expected given our investigation so far, we’ve pinpointed a duplication of the Chromecast group in mDNS discovery logs within Roon. Development expects this to be a straightforward fix - we’ve put in a ticket and I’ll post as soon as it’s through the pipeline. Thank you for the report!

1 Like

Looking forward to testing the fix in a future release

Duplicated Chromecast Groups is back.

Any update on the ticket and getting the fix into a Build?

Hi @connor Is there any progress of this ticket - has it been undertaken and included in the recent builds?

Hi @connor Any update on this ticket and issue, as I have had the duplicated Chromecast Groups issue back with this latest earlyaccess build?

Hi @simon_pepper,

The ticket remains in the pipeline, unfortunately. While the issue is clear-cut, reports remain rare among the user Community; broader stability fixes took priority in the most recent release. Tech support will do what we can to advocate on your behalf since the fix appears straightforward. Thank you again for your patience.

Thanks for the response.
Simon

Hi Simon,

Do you have or are doing either:

1. mdns repeating on
  2. DNS reflector on and running

See this thread for full investigation.

Hi,
I have gone through all the networking troubleshooting, logs have been taken and a bug in Roon identified.
There is a Ticket in the Development team backlog to address this issue, but at low priority.

It may get to the top of the heap one day and solved for good.

Thanks,
Simon

Well, if it might help to push this fix forward, I do have the same issue with my Chromecast-Groups.

2 Likes

I am not alone!!

1 Like

Thanks for the report @SloMo, I’ll notify the team that additional reports of this bug are in the wild. @simon_pepper, we haven’t forgotten about you, but development has been hard-pressed with metadata localization and stability releases. I’ll let you know as soon as this one has motion. Thank you for your patience!

No @simon_pepper , you‘re not alone :grinning:

And thank you @connor for the update!

Hi @simon_pepper and @SloMo,

We’ve merged a fix for this quietly over the last few releases - how have Chromecast groups been performing lately?

Actually since I came back from the Christmas break, and returned to work (where I look to listen to Internet Radio on the Chromecast group first thing in the morning, sometimes transferring the stream to downstairs), there has been one instance of the Chromecast groups.
I will now try removing the automated daily restart on my Wifi Access point, which reintroduced the end-points back to Roon and corrected any duplicated instances, and see if the fix has solved the issue.

Thanks for coming back to me.