Dutch & Dutch 8C Active Speakers

(Tony) #51

Another review:

https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/equipment-reviews/1270-dutch-dutch-8c-active-loudspeakers

D&D is working on an external companion preamplifier for the 8c that will have all manner of analog and digital inputs. They’re also working on Roon integration for direct streaming to the 8c. Stay tuned.

I did not know about the external module they are working on. Interesting.

I have been very intrigued by the 8c but a part of me wonders if they will soon be releasing an upgraded version (or a replacement/upgrade of the electronics module) — e.g. that can handle higher res files and perform all its DSP more accurately and with a lower noise floor. While I am not sure it makes a difference that can be heard, it would be comforting to know that these all-in-ones are upgradable.

(Tony) #53

Whilst there will always be something better just around the corner, D&D are a small company and apparently cannot keep up with current demand for the product. As they are also having issue sorting out their next update (the one that will see Roon Ready included) I very much doubt that any new products are anywhere near release. There is no particular shortage of preamps with AES inputs/outputs on the market anyway so why wait for a D&D branded one?
Realistically, how high do you need to go? 96kHz not enough?

(Demo (one per store location) Keith Cooper) #54

There will be a ‘Sound on Sound ‘ review upcoming soon too.
Keith

D&D should answer a question like this. I am sure they have thought about it.
Remember that the 8c is widely used in studios. That bunch is extremely sensitive to product changes.

I think it’d be nice to see 384kHz all the way through DSP and DAC. Would probably require a new generation of DSP processors. If that would be an improvement over 96kHz is another question. Even if 96kHz is max for the design it will not keep me from buying a pair.

(Tony) #56

Just out of interest and very OT, where do you get music recorded at 384kHz?

Not very much at 384, that is right, but DXD is 352.8 and DSD128 is normally converted to PCM 352.8kHz if the unit can not handle DSD directly (as the 8c can’t). 384kHz is just 2x192kHz. Some get nicer sound with upsampling using HQPlayer for example. My Devialet amp takes 192kHz natively but uses 384kHz internally AFAIK.
Would be a pity if the new external box could handle high rates on USB or ethernet, but all had to be sampled back to 96kHz to work with the speakers

Doubts like these will get rid of the wait list pretty quickly!!

That may be true, but I think the future external box is more a studio device. One would not need it at all for home use. Imagine the simplicity with Roon, your local library, Tidal/Qobuz and just speakers! Or analog from your existing preamp! A dream come true for many

Well I’ve been using digital active speakers since 1989, didn’t have Roon then, had to plug in an SPDIF source (or analogue signal). Still got them, still sound pretty good. People do want higher sample rates though, that was a problem for Meridian.

(Demo (one per store location) Keith Cooper) #61

If you haven’t seen them there are some associated measurements,
https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2073:nrc-measurements-dutch-dutch-8c-loudspeakers&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153
Taken at the NRC’s anechoic chamber.
Keith