Dutch & Dutch 8c: pre-Roon Ready thread

Oops – that is what happens when I set my brain on auto pilot.

For those who want to see a pair of Dutch and Dutch 8C in a home environment.

https://www.minhembio.com/Phonophilos/

I´ve had them for 8 months and they are truly phenomenal. They are by far the best speakers i´ve had for the price. They blow far more $$$ setups out of the water. The attack, timing and 3D is amazing. Not to mention the lows!

I am not using them for professional use. I am an “audiophile”.
When i get some time and knowledge about how the in-house parametric EQ works, ill set them up to perfectly match the room. Been speaking with Martijn and asked for a step by step guide.

4 Likes

I had these stands made for them. They work quite well D & D Stands

2 Likes

They look pretty good!

What is this subwoofer upgrade you speak of? Also, I’m interested in hearing more about your integration of the subs. My current Revel F208s are crossed over to a JL E110 sub at 80 hz and I’m wondering if I’d continue running a sub(s) with the 8Cs. Thanks.

Apologies for jumping in, but the 8Cs have an XLR subwoofer output that is not currently enabled in software I believe. The ‘upgrade’ is therefore likely to refer to a software update from D&D to enable it and allow it to be configured in the web app for crossover freq, level, delay etc to allow integration with a subwoofer(s). From the manual, v0.3 dated Nov 2016, which is the current version on their site front page! A v2.0 can be found elsewhere on the site dated March 2019.

The second male XLR connector (8) is a balanced analog output, intended primarily for use with an external active subwoofer. Various filtering and equalization options such as high– and low pass filters, peak filters, delays and phase inversion can be applied to this output.
Since there is no pre-set low-pass filter on this output, it can also be used as a fullrange filtered output.

Oh! I thought the subwoofer output already had full functionality. Good to know. All the reviews I’ve read talk about the great bass performance of the 8C, but I’ve always been a fan of subwoofers and I do employ my hifi for 2.1 channel home theater about 1/3 of the time.

You may be right, I’m sure I read somewhere that it was still non-working. What else could the reference be to?

There is often some confusion in casual writing about the 8c and “subwoofer” since the front drivers are a tweeter (clearly) and an 8" driver that is often referred to as a woofer but which crosses over to the rear drivers at about 100Hz. Are the latter woofers or subwoofers?

In any case, the dedicated "SUB"output is for an external sub (or full-range speaker) but the supporting firmware is not yet in place.

1 Like

Hi,

thanks for confirming that. Strange that after all this time it is still not working.
Indeed, the rear drivers are referred to both as woofers and sub-woofers in many reviews. D&D call them subwoofers, with the front midrange called a ‘Midwoofer’.

Don´t worry… I got rid of my subwoofer when i bought the D&D 8Cs .
They produce really low and powerful bass. For home theater use, I am amazed. Ofc, having a 15 inch subwoofer is going to produce more LFE bass… but believe me when i say that the D&D 8Cs have plenty to please. :slight_smile:

For music, not a problem either

I too have been wondering about stands for the Dutch & Dutch 8C. I think a couple stands from Dynaudio would make for a great Pairing. The Dynaudio Stand 20 is my pick. There are a few cool features but the big one for me is the large compartment for routing your cables for a cleaner look. I think Dynaudio keyed into this need because they also make powered speakers that sometimes have multiple cables coming out the back.

7 Likes

Agree.
But i would say that the D&D 8Cs are “full-range” as they are.

I am more interested in the Roon firmware update than the SUB implementation. In my room, (52 sq.m) i have plenty bass :slight_smile:

The team at Dutch & Dutch have plenty to do, it will take time, as expected from a small company.

I would recommend something with a bigger speaker base plate.
Let me upload some pictures of my stands. I had to modify a pair of Custom Design RS304. I made the base and speaker plate, much bigger.
Now, my D&D 8C are really stable. Ive also sand filled the stands.
Stand and speaker weigh in at 70 kilos roughly.

To see the cables are half the fun. I cant wait to get a pair of fat pair of Shunyata or Voodoo power cables haha :smiley:

I am sorry for the quality of the pictures. Once again. Modified Custom Design RS304 stands. Sand filled. 70 kg each together with the speaker.

Color of speaker: White front, dark brown cabinet .

6 Likes

Cool stands! How did you go about making the top plate of the stand bigger? Did you just find a larger piece of metal and screw them in? You may be right that the Dynaudio stands have too small of a top plate. I believe Dynaudio has an adaptor plate for a couple of their larger standmount speakers. Perhaps that top plate will be large enough to suit the Dutch 8C. I’ll look into it.

Again, I must say that color combination you have with the white baffle and dark brown cabinet looks great. Is that combination available to others? I don’t see it on the Dutch & Dutch website.

I have a friend working with metal. I measured the D&D 8Cs and he made me some bigger base and top plates. Made some new holes and fitted the pillars. I really recommend having some really stable stands for the 8Cs, they are heavy…

Yes, you should go with the bigger adaptor plate. But be sure its big enough.

Thank you, the story of the color was quite funny. I had made an special order of a complete white D&D 8C. Then i went to a friend of mine, he was building a new stair in his apartment. The stair had this beautiful dark brown color with white handles. Called my local hifi dealer and we changed the order.

The dark brown cabinet can be ordered by anyone. It called dark brown.
Front colors can be ordered in white and black.
Cabinet in dark brown, oak, and black as a standard.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

These look like exceptional stands and fit the proportions of the 8c perfectly.

I had a dream of a demo with them at home and waiting for maturing things up (especially SW and roon integration). I also had the chance to test the roon beta which worked very good for a beta. Sometimes I had tears in my eyes listening to them (which was the very first time I had this with a Hifi system). So real, clear and emotional. Wow!

Waiting time is really a pain…

This week I auditioned KII: big and deep soundstage! Detailed! But I haven’t got the connection like with the 8c. The 8c out of the box did something special with me and has plenty of headroom. The KII sound a little harsh in high volume, but very controlled and give you a sense of precision. 8c is more relaxed and gives you more fun and emotion. But this is not a fair comparison because it wasn’t a A/B comparison and in different rooms.

I will listen to the KIIs again…but my gut feeling is that I will wait for the Dutchies!

Wishlist: Enhanced SW, native app, roon, auto on/off

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your thoughts from the audition. What does SW stand for?

I was quite tempted by these speakers, mostly good reports. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder though, I find them a bit (quite) ugly. I’m not sure there’s a lot you can do with stands.