Dutch & Dutch 8c: pre-Roon Ready thread

Thats correct @ogs. If you’re not on a pre-release list you’ll either have 1.3.12 or 1.3.18.

@Didier - I can’t state this with 100% surety but prior to the release I just got - 1.4.32, you could tell if it was updating by running lanspeaker.com and if updating, the Lanspeaker UX wouldn’t come up and you’d only get a line of text that said something like Dutch & Dutch 8C.

With the new firmware release system in the 1.4.32 code base I have (@Terry_Murray showed a screen shot of it earlier if you want to scroll up to see it), you can see what firmware version is installed and what new firmware releases are available so I think it will give you more feedback when you choose to install a new release.

I have software 1.4.44, these are the new series 8c. The back of the speakers is also different.
I also have the new stands.

In what way is the back of the speakers different? D&D really shouldn’t be changing the hardware without telling people.

However, they did change the rear drivers without telling anyone once, claiming that there was no audible difference.

Perhaps you could post some photos of the rear.

Brst,
P

Please upload some pictures of the back of your speakers. :slight_smile:

Do you mean you have the 8c Studio model? If so, they already announced that the input hardware is different. As others have said, a photo would be appreciated.

Enjoy them!

No, not the Studio version, but these are the new 192kHz speakers. The sequence of the connections and the connections are different.

5 Likes

Interesting.

WARNING: This comment is based on my interpretation of various posts, so I may very well be wrong:

I thought the 192khz support was intended to be a future software optional toggle but D&D was not recommending that users select it as there may actually be a deterioration in sound quality.

Clearly there is new hardware. Was this announced anywhere? Are there specifications available? Do you know if the internal DSP also supports 192khz?

Thanks!

I do not understand the release deployment logic of D&D…

When I received my speakers one month ago with version 1.3.12, version 1.3.18 was already in production for several weeks…

This is what i´ve heard.

The difference between the new model and the “old” model is that the new supports 192 khz over AES . The old modell is limited to 92 khz over AES.

Myself , using the D&D 8C for home domestic, i dont really care about 192 khz over AES. The “old” model supports 192 khz overe the ethernet input already.

The internal sampling rate is of my knowledge still 48 khz in all models of the 8C.

So , if you want to use ROON you dont really need the new model that supports 192 over AES. If you use a dac already that you like , this can make sense for you. I am one of the beta testers. I have tried all inputs , Analog , AES and Ethernet . And IMO the ethernet input is what i like the most.

BUT! If D&D have done more changes than the 192 khz AES support I dont know , and that would not be a cool move. Remeber Kii did some unannounced changes early days.

Why 192 khz when the speakers internal rate is 48 khz ?
I have tried different settings in ROON regarding this. I stream 192 khz audio to my D&D8C , that downsamples the signal to 48 khz again. Indeed, i have an extra conversion in the chain.
But 192 has more dynamic range than 48 khz. And after variuos test i prefer feeding them with 192 khz 24 bit directly from ROON.

Even if you send 48 khz from ROON , the signal will not be native, it will still be affected by the internal DAC or DSP. (this needs to be clarified by D&D , but to my knowledge there is no way of bypassing the dac or DSP)

It would REALLY NOT make sense , making a new model that supports 192 over AES , or having the old model 192 over ethernet , if it wasnt supposed to be used ?
Again , more dynamic range in 192 khz INPUT than 48. Input and internal working rate is not the same.

Thats my 2 cents :slight_smile:

1 Like

BTW , nice set up !
I might get myself a vinyl player again. Though about it…

Do you use a pre amplifier before the D&D8C ?

:slight_smile:

I have an Akurate DSM.
Use to have quit a different set.
I had a Trinnov Amethyst with a Luxman m900U and ViVid Audio Gya speakers. Because of hearing problems thought it was better for me to downgrade but this doesn’t sound like a downgrade. :grinning:
This was the demoset already on the new stands.

2 Likes

Enabling 192kHz over AES/EBU sounds logical to me. 192kHz is max for a single AES/EBU connection and simply conformance to a standard for this type of digital link. What sounds best will always be system dependant anyway.
The good thing about this, in my view, is that D&D have refreshed the design and we must assume they have also looked at the internal signal path, refining resample algorithms for example (assuming 48kHz working rate for the DSP). According to posts here D&D has a new configuration software for the 8c so this might also be a rework of internals to better suit that.

Nice !
I have integrated my D&D8C with my room. Have done convolution filters in ROON … the results are amazing, Really day and night difference.
I also “downgraded” on paper and money wise … at least i though. The D&D8C is to date the best sounding speakers ive had in my room.

1 Like

Yes ofc , its logical . But i dont need 192 over AES/EBU when i have 192 over ethernet input.
Good if you use both inputs , then i understand :slight_smile:
BUT like you say, if they have done changes internaly , and made the new model superior. When, we a problem.

Maybe, we with the “old” model , can upgrade them. :slight_smile:

I do not think there is difference in sound between the two, especially not if one uses ethernet streaming. The mastering and studio engineers would be (very) unhappy if that was the case. I’m also guessing the ‘new’ configuration software is compatible with all models (but do not know of course).
Does anyone know the price of the 8c Studio? Or the price difference between 8c Studio and the ‘normal’?

Pricing in Holland
Dutch & Dutch 8c € 11.950,-
Dutch & Dutch 8c studio € 9.950,-

I changed the standard spikes for sound care superspikes

IMG_9919

Thanks! That is around 16% less for the Studio version of 8c. It seems though that D&D have raised the price for the domestic version. I think it used to be 9900 € for the domestic…
Sound Care spikes are very nice, I have an unused set waiting to be used.

Has anybody else noticed, or is this just with my setup? but since D&D have enabled autoupdate on Lanspeaker (even though my speakers are still on version 1.3.12. ) You can no longer configure any new filters. You can change your existing filters, but beyond what you already have configured, you can’t add any new filters? This only applies to 1.3.12 and 1.3.18 (current production versions) I think?

Hi,
My speakers are also in version 1.3.12 and I do not have this issue.

Hi, I don’t have your issue. But mine is marked as version 1.3.12 and “unknown”. Anybody knows what this means?