Dutch & Dutch 8c: pre-Roon Ready thread

Thanks again Martijn. What about the 8c studio, will it have the REW integration?

EDIT: I read the “D&D 8-Series Firmware…” statement in Release Notes to mean both 8c and 8c Studio. Let’s hope I’m right!

My 8c‘s are also in 1.4.57

The REW integration is very useful!

Well. Mine are in “Release undefined”. I have the new lanspeaker and the speakers work but I have no idea what release level they are. I will be contacting support.

I agree about the REW integration. It works extremely well and simplifies the setup and the filter creation process substantially.

Very good, my speakers had updated to latest firmware version. Hope they will support Roon soon!

Great news, I hope to have news soon.

Since the update on Version 1.4.57 I can‘t enable automatic update. Is it supposed to be like that?

First I thought it was because I hadn‘t done a backup yet but that didn‘t help either…

I have the same thing. When I try, it says comm error.

It’s a bug! You can set it with the RMS interface. You can find the RMS interface by browsing to http://8c-xxxx:10000 (replace the x’s with your serial number). - Martijn

1 Like

Thanks Martijn. That worked. I did have to use http://8c-xxx.local:10000 because of my network.

1 Like

I used REW v5.20 beta 58 with my speakers at 1.4.57 last night. I did the recommended 7 measurement average. I don’t like to use superlatives but the difference was truly amazing. The soundstage is wide and deep. Vocals and instruments have separation and are locked in place. The 8cs were great before the filters but now they are outstanding.

4 Likes

That is great to hear!

Did you detect any additional noise/anomalies that make the sound seem less natural and more processed after using REW convolution filters in the 8c?

None at all. The music was engaging and not fatiguing at all. I listened for hours.

2 Likes

Indeed. The 8C becomes way better when integrating them with to listening room. Like all speakers.
They are amazing !

Didn’t you use the filtering system before?

Yes. I never took the time to go through the process. The new REW integration makes it much simpler and faster.

True ! I remember putting all data manually … for each speaker …
I tried REW + PEQ , but in my opinion … convolution filters in ROON is the way to go with the 8Cs .

I was one of the ROON Beta , so you guys have something very nice to look forward to with the upcoming ROON update :slight_smile:

I thought the new REW integration with the 8c generates convolution filters for use directly in the 8c. If that is not the case, what does it do exactly?

BTW, I agree that the convolution filters in Roon work great and I use them with my main listening area and my headphone setup.

I would love it if the 8c supports convolution filters. Full range FIR filters in the speaker would be fantastic!
I think biquad programming or similar, of the 8c DSP is more likely. I would not know though, as I do not own a pair yet…

When I just firstly installed my D&D8c, I just connected it to wall power outlet. Without playing any music, I could hear some hissing sound when I move my ear very close to the front speaker drivers (almost touching it! :sweat_smile:). The noise was not audible when seating at my normal listening place about 2m away from the speaker but it was mentally annoying. Later, I plugged my 8c to Denali, the hissing noise gone and it also greatly improved SQ. I think my home power supply is very noisy and power conditioner is really helpful. That’s my experience.

1 Like