Dutch & Dutch 8c: pre-Roon Ready thread

Was trying to help answer this one and provide a bit more detail on how the process worked in the 8Cs.

1 Like

Thanks for this.

I canā€™t recall if adding room boundary distances was always there (like when I demoā€™ed them very early on) or a later firmware/software addition. Very very useful indeed.

But I still think ā€˜bestā€™ is measuring at your listening position/s in your roomā€¦ including step response. Even if it ends up being just a verificationā€¦ worthwhile doing.

Back wall, side wall distance inputs to the 8Cs was always there. It must have this data, at minimum, to properly fire the back woofer thatā€™s bonding with your walls and likely is being used to align all the driver outputs. You canā€™t replace this correction/adjustment with Audiolense because you donā€™t have control of the individual drivers in each speaker. Of course you can further correct on top of it to adjust speaker left vs right timing and/or room issues.

1 Like

This part I either forgot or wasnā€™t aware. I demoā€™ed these very early on.

Thanks for the info.

Of course. Right now each driver I have not only has itā€™s own DAC and amp but each is also time aligned perfectly, using measurements at listening positionā€¦ not using a handful of distances and estimates but using measurements in the roomā€¦ this is something not possible with 8Cā€™s :grin:

Iā€™m joking around here a bit. We donā€™t need to go in an infinite loop.

Yes . But the EQ does a lot . Roon might be a bit more complex in the beginning :slight_smile:
I used convolution filters in ROON .

Is anyone on this thread using a turntable with their D&Ds? Iā€™ve been thinking about adding one and Iā€™d be curious about peopleā€™s experience.

I have my LP12 setup with my D&Ds.

Currently it goes LP12 > Phono stage > MiniDSP SHD > 8c

I also have a lumin connected to the SHD

It works well enough, but the level of the turntable is a lot lower than the Lumin. Also I use rooDial to control the Roon volume but have to use the miniDSP to control the turntable volume. Its all a bit of a pain.

But my understanding is, that once the D&Ds are Roon Certified I can have my phono stage connected directly to the D&Ds. That when Roon isnā€™t playing it will switch automatically to the analog input. I understand that I may also be able to use the rooDial to control the volume on the speakers even while it is playing analog (hope I have understood this correctly :-).

Currently my phono stage has RCA outputs which are at a lower level than XLR. My plan is to change phonostage so that I can get XLR output - this will be useful as I will be driving much longer cables (to the D&Ds rather than to the SHD)

1 Like

Thanks this is very helpful since I too have a miniDSP and was thinking of getting a Linn! I noticed the Linn phono stage has XLR outs. Iā€™ll wait since who knows how long the Roon certification will take.

Thatā€™s correct.

The linn radikal has both outputs, rca and xlr.

When i had the amazing DD8CĀ“s the Streaming input overruled the analog and digital XLR inputs.

So you are right there. I actually tried my DD8CĀ“s together with a turntable. Turntable ā†’ riaa ā†’ DD8C analog XLR. I streamed ROON directly from my ROON Core and was controlling the volume, I could even starts the 8CĀ“s directly from ROON. When no music was played on ROON , the DD8Cs switched to the analog input after 5-10 seconds.

Maybe I am wrong now, it was a while ago I had the 8C and there might be some new features, but I donā€™t think you can use the rooDial for the analog input. It controls ROON volume , and the 8C then needs to be switched to the Ethernet/streaming input for you to be able to control the volume.

Maybe Dutch and Dutch will release some kind of remote in the future. That would be pretty awesome actually.

Best

Huh?? Did you have Roon integration?

Has anyone else noticed a loud cracking noise coming from their speakers as they expand in heat (sun for example). One crack every few minutes until warmed.

Yes, I have the same cracking noise with my D&D. I think that the wood is moving with the heat.

He was a beta tester for the Roon integration. See an earlier post from him.

Correct :slight_smile:

I was one of the beta testers.

It actually does when Roon is not playing music. Then the rooDail controls the input volume through Roon.

That is so awesome! The rooDial is such a great remote!

Maybe itā€™s just the two of us. I wonder if itā€™s a warranty issue? Iā€™ve never had a speaker that makes cracking sounds before. Itā€™s a bit annoying.

Sorry to butt in, am not a D&D owner but Iā€™m interested enough to keep reading this thread. Iā€™d get this looked at as it doesnā€™t sound good to me. Itā€™s sounds as though they have 2 materials bound with significantly different thermal properties (think bi-metallic strip). If itā€™s repeated itā€™s the kind of thing that shifts veneer and breaks joints apart. Understandably easy to miss in product testing, itā€™s a real ā€œliving withā€ issue. Might be nothing but Iā€™d not wait to find out.

Itā€™s probably not just the two of you, but it will depend on the temp variation where the speakers are located.