Dynamic range measurement is different than http://dr.loudness-war.info

Agreed that Roon’s metadata does not reflect reality nor subjective experience. R128 Loudness was designed for automated control of objective loudness of advertising. It has little or no bearing on subjective loudness, and includes in its measurements a process that actually precludes, especially for pop music, any correlation to a listener’s subjective observations. R128 is great for machines that keep “commercials” from blasting you, but is really inappropriate when it comes to human perception.

We at MAAT are the folks who formulated and maintain the integrated DR Dynamic Range standard, DRi, as an easy to understand integer metric that correlates well with subjective assessment of how loud your music is. We would appreciate the opportunity to add accurate DRi measurements to Roon’s metadata collection. For that to happen, we need your help! Please lobby Roon to add official DRi as part of their metadata roster.

8 Likes

Hey mikeb,

Actually, as documented there, the DR.Loudness-War site expects their users to employ DRi, not crest factor. They are different.

Crest factor is a first approximation, and provides a measurement that is difficult to correlate with perceived loudness. On the other hand, DRi was designed specifically to provide a standardized integer value that correlates well with perceived loudness.

2 Likes

From what we at MAAT can tell, JRiver uses some form of crest factor which, as with R 128 LRA, is not a dynamic range measurement. They should be using the DRi algorithm but are not.

Certainly I would love Roon to use the DRi measurement to show true loudness levels of masterings.

I had thought that the loudness wars were actually behind us but some recent purchases have shown this not to be the case.

So that’s a plus 1 from me lobbying Roon.

.sjb

2 Likes

Awesome to see you here Oliver, and hoping that Roonies can engage to put your algorithm to work so we can all benefit!

The JRiver DR numbers do often/sometimes differ from the official DR numbers. I’ve assumed that was due to JRiver using different floating point or integer precision or math libraries than the official DR algorithm. Or maybe they’re implementing the algorithm slightly incorrectly.

pscreed wrote:

Awesome to see you here Oliver, and hoping that Roonies can engage to put your algorithm to work so we can all benefit!

Thanks, man! Looking forward to maybe helping Roonies (:smiley:) achieve their own music nirvana. BTW, just got back from a major hi–fi show that I write up every year, AXPONA in Chicago, and Roon was EVERYWHERE!

2 Likes

Maybe the moderators can merge this discussion with the feature request: Select "R128" or "Crest Factor" DR as it seems most people in this thread wants this (or versions of it) but aren’t aware of the feature request. Don’t forget to vote at the top of the feature request. A +1 in comments doesn’t count :slightly_smiling_face:

I use the DRi info to tell different versions or masterings of the same album apart. I like the fact that it’s the same number as in DR database https://dr.loudness-war.info/. One number is as many have said here not the final truth of the album but it helps to interpret it. I would like to see this implemented in Roon or at least for the option to turn it on as you can with the current R128 value.

I think Roon has stated that the R128 was a more accurate number and that they didn’t want to use the more common “audiophile” DR standard. But as we have seen recently Hell freezes over, or how Folder Browsing came to Roon! Hell has frozen over so perhaps there is a chance for seeing DRi values in Roon now :slightly_smiling_face:

In the mean time I have used the “roonalbumtag” to display the information in the interface like this:

It’s clear that the Dynamic Range (R128) value of 5 and the DRi value of 13 originate from different measuring methods.

It helped me to understand the confusion between several measuring standards to read this manual https://maat-digital-downloads.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/public/docs/DROfflineMkII_UM.pdf from page 11 and onward if you are into the geeky stuff.

3 Likes

How did you add the tag to display the DR value please? I am afraid to say this is beyond me. Thanks.

I have enabled that option showing the Roon DR (R128). What I cannot figure out is how to add the DRi value, which TreeZorro has highlighted tag in the example.

I use the ROONALBUMTAG tag to show the DRi value in Roon.

To do this first I find the DRi value of the album by mesureing it using a software: MAAT DROffline MkII You can also find the vaule in the DR database https://dr.loudness-war.info/ if you know which version of the album you have.

Then I use an external tagging program. Any will do. I use Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...) Here I add the tag ROONALBUMTAG to the album files and I give them the DRi value I messured (or found) in the first step.

Roon then automatically updates the album info and show the DRi value as a tag like here:

Its not complicated if you are familiar with tagging but it is time consuming. There is a feature request to make Roon do this automatically that you can vote for: Select "R128" or "Crest Factor" DR

You can read more about ROONALBUMTAG and ROONTRACKTAG her: https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/tags#ROONALBUMTAG__ROONTRACKTAG
Its a great way to organize and get info into Roon.

2 Likes

Spot on. Thank you.

1 Like