ECM in Tidal is available now (now available in Roon)

Doing so results in 468 albums.

Have fun finding the other 1100+! :wink:

The search revealed about 1100 but oddly, it seemed about 1/3 were duplicates. humm…?

Are not identical - so not exact duplicates.

I have just searched.

It’s great news that ECM is now streaming, but very sad that a lot of what I’ve listened to so far is audibly watermarked. No point paying for lossless when this vandalism persists on DG, Decca etc and now ECM.

Are you sure DG???
So why QOBUZ and iTunes plays it OK?
Maybe TIDAL is behind this?
Lets try to ask them.

Universal owns DG, Decca, Philips and a whole bunch of other lables, and distributes ECM. So if Decca and others are watermarked, it would make no sense making an exception for DG.

The official link to ecm is nice. But for a better browsing this wikipage might help to realise how many albums of importance we missed… all the many jazz records that influenced so many musicians in the past. But also nice pat metheny albums, not earlier available in streaming. I als can recommend the New Series, which ar all memorable classical albums.

Already shared that one just 8 posts earlier :wink:

Then all the credits ar yours… It is a massive topic all ready, so I missed that one.
It is a good way though to discover the importance of ECM.

But why there are no “fireworks” on QOBUZ and iTunes services?

Hm, I haven’t got a clue. Can’t check it myself, as I don’t stream (only use Spotify when I’m outside).

I asked TIDAL point-blank - right now they are dodging off bullets…
Let’s wait.

2 Likes

Ha - Spotify also clean! (Nik Bärtsch’s Ronin - Modul 35)

Now that’s interesting!

@Lonek You asked “if I am sure ECM titles are still in MQA”? Not sure I understand your question. I can only describe my process. Please point out anywhere I’m “going wrong”. My process was favoriting the MQA and non-MQA versions of ECM albums in the Tidal app…then opening Audirvana to compare the versions, relying on Audirvana to provide the first unfolding of MQA files. As stellar as ECM recordings are in general, I found the MQA versions were easily recognized and sonically preferred over the non-MQA versions. Some of the ECM artists I used for my tests were: Tord Gustavsen, Vijay Iyer, Wolfgang Muthspiel, Stefano Bollani, Keith Jarrett, Ferenc Snetberger and Jack DeJohnette.

In other words - I wonder why ECM stopped to publish MQA version of their new albums in February this year. May be it was considered in ECM, that MQA is only for streaming. Or they came to the conclusion that MQA is not the best way to compress music?

And just because I trust them, I also treat MQA with caution.
But if any system can better reproduce MQA coded music - really great :slight_smile:

While I was going hog-wild over the ECM additions, I realized that there are also many Reference Recordings releases available in Tidal. I will never finish listening to all of this.

2 Likes