Editing artists appearing in credits only

Only artists with Primary Artist credits at the album level (Primary Artist Links) appear in the Artist Browser.

(edited)

Yes, know that.
But here the problem was with the Artist browser.
In all my experience, all credited artists show up there.
In this album, they do not.

@Mike @Joel

Sorry, my bad, I meant ā€œonly appear in the Artist Browserā€.

@AndersVinberg actually this is not the case for me. I do not see all credited artists in the Artist browser. And I honestly cannot understand which ones show and which not. Do you have an idea how this is supposed to be working?

Iā€™m sorry, Iwas wrong, @joel is right.
Only Primary Artists show up in the artist browser, other credited artists are reachable by clicking a link, or through search.

(I guess I didnā€™t notice because of the kind of music I listen to, and because I tend to edit my albums to make all the artists I care about Primary.)

So there are three levels (you can edit all three in the Album editing dialog):
Album Artists: in the Album browser, Sort by Artist uses the Album Artist (if there are more than one, they are used in the order they appear)
Primary Artist: these are the ones listed on top in the album page, under the Album Artist. The list of albums ā€œAlso by this artistā€ uses the primary artists, and these are listed in the Artist browser.
Other credited artists: not used in any sorted list, other than credits of the album.

So to go back the @Vassilis_Papaeconomoā€™s original question, I canā€™t find a way to edit or merge artists unless they are Primary Artists.

@Mike ā€” isnā€™t this a serious gap?

Well, i gave you a partial, clunky method above.

It certainly is, I agree.

Thatā€™s very interesting. I havenā€™t been able to fully test, but as far as I can see you found something really useful there.

Iā€™d be curious if @brian can confirm that this route is indeed merging Primary Artists with those with only small credits, or if it just looks like that.

Merging artists does not take into account what ā€œkindā€ of artist (credits, primary) that they are. So the workaround seems fine to me.

There was never a fundamental data-model gap hereā€“it is more a UI problem that it can be very difficult to get primary and non-primary artists into the same multi-selectable list to kick off the merge operation.

This is trickyā€¦having a dedicated ā€œsearch + joinā€ UI is possible but very inelegant. It will turn into another neglected corner of the app like the ā€œmerge albumsā€ screen. And artist merging is a minority use case that never quite justifies pushing the whole selection model of the app around (for example, to allow selection across lists).

@mike, lets make sure this is at least tracked somewhere for the product team. Iā€™m not sure there is a ticket ope.

1 Like