Eitr USB-SPDIF Converter

I received the replacement unit today.
Now all is up and running.

and… it worthwhile?

For the Modi Multibit, Yes.

With the Yggdrasil I stay with the AES input. I still prefer that input.
A quick listening comparison with the Eitr wont make me change to that new Usb input.

The Modi now sounds “grown up”, the distance to the Yggdrasil is smaller. More Corpus, better bass, more defined.
Thats all very subjective. Cant find better words. But there is a positive difference to the original usb input for sure. A notable one.

Does anybody know when the the usb gen. 5 will be available for self install?

Best regards
Stephan

The upgrade as selfinstall shoud be available later in the fall 2017.
This was the communication from Schiit Audio.

Just realized that I can’t play 24 bit recordings when using the Eitr in combination with a microrendu. Anyone have a similar problem? 24 bit files play fine when directly connecting the Eitr via usb to the computer. I also am encountering problems getting HQPlayer to work with the Eitr and microrendu together.

I think to remember that I had that 24bit problem with the first version of the Eitr Schiit sent out.
I had it exchanged. Now I have no 24bit problems with Sonore products.

Hi,

i did the self upgrade to USB Gen. 5 on my Yggdrasil! I have not got any problems playing 24 bit recordings. Everything works just fine.

Regards Stephan

Any benefits from the upgrade?

Yes! I used an IFI USB 3.0 as DDC in front off the Ygggdrasil. This improvd the sound quiet noticeably.

Everything the DDC did now does the Gen. 5 USB board: clean USB power supplied from the Yggy, galvanic isolation, reclocking. Now I just connect my MacMini to the Yggdrasil via USB and enjoy listening to music. I do not need the IFI USB 3.0 anymore. It does not improve the sound further on.

This reply (mine -lol) is more of an observation; 99% of music (OK, maybe 95%, OK then 90! -lol) is from analog masters (equivalent 10-12 bit/48-K or from 16-20/48 Masters.

It strikes me that somehow we believe seeking 20-24/96-192 is somehow deeply desirable (to “rescue” past recordings). Without question 20/96-192 data acquisition confers considerable SQ gains (from recording to playback), yet hardly any (good -lol) music has been recorded as such.

More tellingly is my late-to-the-game ‘streaming’ that may have been a blessing in disguise; today’s 96-128 Kb/s “Streams” sounds absolutely wonderful -and I do have a High-Rez sound system.

I suspect the compression algorithms have been near ‘mastered’, as there is nothing I can pick out as in obvious need of immediate attention. This coming from one who despised “CD-sound” for the first twenty years of its existence says something indeed.

Perhaps we should have all-along been looking to (at) Low-Frequency Resolution and the immense gains in performance conferred -if we shifted our (collective) focus.

In the end, all of this ‘seeking’ a better mouse-trap is an essential (in fact imperative) exercise that deserves/demands exploration, analysis and subsequent feedback.

pj