ELAC Airplay grouping - no audio

Roon Core Machine

Custom Integration Solutions NW-POE4 Router, CIS-CRS328-24 POE Switch, AC-WAP access points, Nucleus and ELAC audio are hard wired to network

Connected Audio Devices

ELAC DSC201PROBK, powered by ELAC AMP1650BK, connected by analogue audio. iPhone X with iOS 15.5 for AirPlay

Number of Tracks in Library

approximately 100 tracks on USB stick

Description of Issue

The only issue to report is with playing to AirPlay zone and then trying to group other rooms to that track. We are only using zones on the 8 zone ELAC Discovery product. When a track is playing from iPhone, Roon shows “Nothing Playing” in the AirPlay room, even though audio is present. Volume control not possible in Roon app unless the associated room is selected (Not Airplay room), or with iPhone. Other Airplay zones can be grouped in the app but no audio is present in them.
All required zones and AirPlay zones are enabled in the Roon setup.
Thanks in advance

Hi @Wedge_Audio,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for bringing this issue to our attention. The tech support team is eager to help out, but we’d first like to clarify a few details about your setup and what you’re attempting to do with Zones in Roon:

Would you please elaborate here? Do you mean grouping other Zones to the currently playing and selected Zone?

Do you mean within Roon Remote, or are you referring to your phone as an endpoint (phone speakers)?

While it can be tedious to type out, I think it would perhaps be most efficient to list your complete routing from source through endpoint for this setup, so we can make sure we’re on the same page. Thank you!

Hi,
Audio routing when experiencing issues:

• iPhone streaming audio using Spotify Connect and/or AirPlay
  • Roon Nucleus using Remote App on mobile device or PC
  • ELAC Discovery outputting 4 analogue zones
  • ELAC AMP1650 multi channel amplifier

To clarify, audio stream is not being sent to all grouped zones on ELAC Discovery Pro, and there is no metadata of the current stream.

Are you

1. trying to play via airplay on your phone - so no roon connection - to an airplay device.
  2. Then pointing roon at the same device.

From what I understand, we use the ROON Nucleus directly with AirPlay/Spotify Connect, which routes the stream to our endpoints on the ELAC Discovery. Doing this we hear the stream in only one endpoint zone at a time dispite grouping in ROON Mobile app, and app shows “Nothing Playing”. ELAC say the Discovery Pro is not an AirPlay device.

Hi,
Audio routing when experiencing issues:

• iPhone streaming audio using Spotify Connect and/or AirPlay
  • Roon Nucleus using Remote App on mobile device or PC
  • ELAC Discovery outputting 4 analogue zones
  • ELAC AMP1650 multi channel amplifier

To clarify, audio stream is not being sent to all grouped zones on ELAC Discovery Pro, and there is no metadata of the current stream.

From what I understand, we use the ROON Nucleus directly with AirPlay/Spotify Connect, which routes the stream to our endpoints on the ELAC Discovery. Doing this we hear the stream in only one endpoint zone at a time dispite grouping in ROON Mobile app, and app shows “Nothing Playing”. ELAC say the Discovery Pro is not an AirPlay device.

Keeping this thread alive. Is the provided info sufficient. If so, could I get a case number? Our supplier requested it.
Thasnks

You keep posting the same thing but it’s very unclear what you are trying to do and also unclear what you are doing now.
For example you mention Spotify connect which has nothing to do with Roon.

Try a story if what you do.
I open roon and then…

It’s very simple. By that I mean there are very few steps involved.
Walk in the room, for example Dining Room, start a song on mobile device, Airplay to Dining Room, switch to ROON App, and try to group zones to Dining Room. The song only plays in Dining Room after grouping.

So your trying to group a song that’s playing outside of Roon, coming from your mobile phone to an airplay end point.
Your then playing a song from within Roon and trying to group the roon and the non-roon streams?

I guess you could describe it that way. The stream is entirely over the network until the ELAC sends analog audio to the amp.

You can’t group a stream that isn’t in roon from roon. So if you are streaming directly from the phone using airplay with a Roon controlled stream.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.