RAM: 64GB

Networking Gear & Setup Details

N/A

Connected Audio Devices

N/A

Number of Tracks in Library

3,127 tracks

Description of Issue

As stated in the title, there are 5 albums in my collection of 1,243 that do not show the embedded album art. The embedded album art can be seen perfectly fine through other applications (Windows Media Player, mp3tag, and even my phone’s music player, PowerAmp). The album art embedded in all of the files in my albums is .jpg, so the file extension being different doesn’t seem to be the problem. I’ve attached a screenshot that depicts this.

Does purging the image cache help?

Do you have Roon set to “prefer” your local album art?

Shouldn’t be necessary; AFAIK, if Roon does not have album art, then the import process will fall back to looking for local metadata.

True. /10char

I have done this twice; it has not helped. Restarted the PC after doing it each time as well.

Curious - what are the pixel dimensions of the album art in question?

1 Like

The 5 album covers that don’t show up are: 1200x1200, 3000x3000, 1000x1000, 4000x4000, and 3000x3000. The largest one of these is 3MB. I understand how 4000x4000 and even the 3000x3000 may be pushing the limits, but both the 1200x1200 (which is 177kb) and the 1000x1000 (107kb) don’t make any sense.

The pictures may throw off the used graphics library in other ways than size by containing unexpected metadata for example? Maybe you can clean them up by converting them into a simple format (bmp for example) and then back again?

Does this thread help, Joshua?

While exporting the same .jpg image file as a .png using GIMP works, I wonder why this is even necessary in the first place, considering this is widely considered the ultimate digital music library software. If other software had issues with these specific images, it would at least be a softer blow; but that is not the case. In answer to your question, the conversion to another file extension (.png) works. I am willing to keep providing information, given this issue can be fixed.

@Joshua_Alarcon,

Wouldn’t it be useful for you to provide (post here details of) two examples:

• one of a file which does work as expected
  • one of a file which does not show

In both cases, maybe supply us with:

1. the file’s full name - including the full path to its (original) location; and including permissions
  2. the file’s size in Kb and dimensions in pixels, x and y
  3. the file’s format

to see if anything jumps out?

Agreed. Hmmmm…is it possible that there are multiples? Some metadata software can only see one of many. What happens if you clear the artwork out altogether and then start it fresh?

I am providing both files, named as to whether they work or not, at the bottom of this reply. Additional file information, according to right clicking, selecting properties, and then going to the details section on Windows 11:

Roon Non-Compatible File Details:
-Dimensions: 1200x1200
-Size: 176kb
-Format: .jpg

Roon Compatible File Details:
-Dimensions: 1200x1200
-Size: 5.50mb
-Format: .png

Note 1: I am not providing the file’s full path, as it is irrelevant. The image files that are not showing up in Roon’s album art have been embedded as album art into the .flac music files. This exact same process works for every other one of my 3,122 tracks.

Note 2: Upon uploading the images, I noticed that Roon automatically changed the extensions for both files and resized them. Perhaps a link to a file hosting website would be better suited for these troubleshooting purposes? If that is even allowed…

Went into Mp3tag (my preferred metadata editing software), cleared all album artwork from the files, added the original album artwork that was not showing up in Roon, started Roon up, cleared the image cache, restarted Roon, and the album artwork is still not showing up. For reference, this was done with the album artwork I am referencing when replying to @Mark_Sealey.

Imgur links work OK in here. I would like to give this a try along with you because I am completely into this :slight_smile: But one more question - have you tried removing it from your library, then performing a library cleanup, then reimporting it?

1 Like

Okay so some interesting discoveries while attempting to upload to Imgur. I kept getting “File type invalid (1)” when trying to upload the Non-Compatible .jpg file. I then went to see what file types they allow to be uploaded via this link:

My conclusion was that the file extension may be something that was not listed, such as .webp. Even though the file is identified as a .jpg by Windows and GIMP, https://www.checkfiletype.com/ told me otherwise; it identified it as a .webp file. I then cross-checked the other image files that were not being displayed via Roon, and found that they were all .webp file types. I even checked a couple of ‘verified’ .png and .jpg files to make sure the website was identifying these correctly.

In summary, Roon cannot handle .webp images. Or if it can, it just doesn’t do so very well.

@Joshua_Alarcon,

IOW the extension does not seem to be a determiner of the actual filetype. That’ll be easy to fix :slight_smile:

Again, may I respectfully and empathetically suggest that there is a way fix this: we work with what Roon does accept as a valid filetype? Note what does work and apply it?

1 Like

Darn file extensions :wink: Oh yes, indeed. Webp images are not supported in all sorts of areas just yet. Glad that a byproduct of your work might lead you to the solution!

Hi @Joshua_Alarcon,

If these .jpg files originated as TIFF or, in the case, webp files that were later compressed to .jpg format, the additional information isn’t necessarily cleaved off and EXIF data can reveal it. This usually manifests as album art appearing rotated in Roon, but not in a photo editor; the original TIFF file was 90-degrees inverted.

Please upload an affected album art file or a art-embedded track file here so our QA team can take a look at this particular webp behavior: Media Uploader