Enable MQA Decoder Missing

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10, SSD, 8Gb, Roon Build 416.

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Sagecom Pack Fast 3890v3, WiFi 300Mb Down, 10Mb Up.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Onkyo TX-RZ840 Airpllay
Onkyo TX-RZ840 Chromecast Built In
Chrome Cast Ultra

Description Of Issue

I can not get Roon to show me the option to enable the Roon MQA Decoder.

Per Signal Path below, the quality getting to my ears is 48kHz/24bit right? The unfolding by Roon to 96kHz is missing, right?

Thanks in advance,
I am making use of the Trial. Will I get to figure this out before the 14 days expire?

@Emiliano_Escobar

This may not be the reason why you can’t see the option to enable Roon’s MQA Decoder but all three of your devices are limited to 48 kHz or lower. The MQA Decoder’s output is 88.2 or 96 kHz which none of your devices can accept. I’m assuming Roon knows this and is hiding the option since enabling it would cause problems, most likely no sound.

Tim

1 Like

Hello @Emiliano_Escobar,

The Onkyo TX-RZ840 does not implement high resolution playback via Chromecast at this point in time. Onkyo is aware of this limitation and investigating the possibility of increasing this limitation.

The reason that the “Enable MQA Decoder” option is missing is that the option will only appear when an endpoint supports a minimum of 24/96kHz playback.

When you play MQA files in Roon to the Onkyo TX-RZ840 using Chromecast, the audio stream being sent to the TX-RZ840 is 24/48kHz.

When using AirPlay, the stream will be limited to 16/44.1kHz.

-John

2 Likes

“Hi-Res Audio playback via network (DSD Direct 11.2 MHz11; DSD 11.2 MHz/5.6 MHz/2.8 MHz11 [PCM conversion]; FLAC, WAV [RIFF], AIFF, and ALAC to 192 kHz/24-bit*12)”

For the first time Onkyo is disappointing me time after time after buying this RZ that’s supposed to be higher line of products. They should have added MQA decoder to all the RZ line for G’s sake!!
I got a workaround when they published the Roon Ready that’s not working either.

Thanks John, can you let me know if Nad C368 has any limitation as you are are with the Onkyo?

Hello @Emiliano_Escobar,

The Onkyo devices are a part of our “Roon Tested” program, meaning that we have tested the device’s functionality with Roon even though it is not a “Roon Ready” networked product. Examples of Roon Tested devices include AirPlay speakers, Chromecast endpoints, and USB DACs. The goal of the Roon Tested program is enable users to feel comfortable knowing that their audio hardware will work with Roon, within the inherent limitations of the platform.

Roon Ready devices implement the RAAT streaming protocol and are only certified after passing strict certification requirements. Roon Ready devices will offer the same format support across all networked sources and are able to be grouped together in a seamless manner.

The NAD C 368 with the BluOS MDC card is a Roon Ready device, and will function as an MQA Renderer when used with Roon.

-John

1 Like

Thanks again John for sharing your knowledge!
I finally achieved my goal to have Roon unfold the MQA from Tidal:

Unfortunately I think I will buy the MDC card to achieve My goal instead of software version.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.