Endless adding to library

Maybe but I don’t think that is something I or anyone else should have to do or try to remember to do.

It would be nice to get some real situations on the table here. I suspect that it’s not quite as simple as saying that "5,000-10,000 tracks tagged with the same tag , might cause issues. What are the situations where “might” becomes “will”?

I don’t have many Tags in use, but one of them is applied to over 30,000 objects (tracks, in this case). Roon takes this in its stride, and doesn’t miss a beat.

1 Like

Agreed but the OP does seem to have a use case that Roon wasn’t designed or tested for. As we know, Roon doesn’t test for ‘large’ libraries.

1 Like

Agree that it would be good to get a better clarification on this one!

Hey @AceRimmer and @Geoff_Coupe,

Thanks for keeping an eye on this thread and for showing your interest in this particular topic.

I’ve circled back with our technical and QA teams to learn more about this behavior and share more.

Please, stay tuned :nerd_face:

1 Like

After many decades with more than a dozen software products and music services that have come and gone, I no longer rely on vendor solutions.

Tagging follows an industry standard

This page is also referenced here
https://www.audiohq.de/viewtopic.php?id=22

and quickly you are at MP3TAG or Foobar2000

There you learn to stick to these standards as well as to tag very freely and flexibly. The advantage, it is also really in the file, which fits to the own order love and can be read out by further programs.

Even if these or another programs are deleted, so no library exists there any more, everything is preserved and evaluable for the case of need and e.g. transferable into spreadsheets like Excel or LibreOffice.

Only in this way is mass tagging really possible and one does not drag oneself from field to field.

@Uwe_Albrecht — danke dir! So, I understand that even roon is not the vendor for “mass tagging”? Their marketing suggests otherwise and I am very disappointed that the software cannot handle this.
If I’d tag my tracks by using the tag software you’ve mentioned, will roon the able to show these tags on the roon player, I.e, can this be used in any way within roon? Beste Grüße, Michael

Roon has many unique features, the client-server solution for multiple rooms/zones and much more, but tagging is made much easier and also much better with other programs.

Some familiarization is needed with any program and for me looking to Foobar2000 and MP3Tag (since Windows XP) was very rewarding. If you are looking for a fast and flexible solution for almost everything, you can be very individual with Foobar2000 and still stay in the standard, which is later also recognized by many programs and therefore by Roon.

For example, I tested whether “wild data maintenance” under Genre will lead to the divisions that I write into the files with Foobar2000.

It’s a creative process and if I want to find my favorites again when I change programs, a bridge must be built over a standard field. To change the artist, the album or the title manually creates problems in the allocation, but to enter “Jazz, Rate5” in addition to “Jazz” in Genre would be uncritical, because there is then just one evaluation by Rate 5 more, which I will find in the genre classification.

One rule always applies: Everything you write only in your program and not in the music file, you will also see only in the program. So that much can be shared, a standard (see wiki) was developed.

The “Roon-Tags” are different from the important note “Roon-Ready” no reason for other players to follow the same concept and Roon didn’t write anything in the files either. Here, everyone is just following the standard and doing some things on top of that, if necessary, just for your customers/users.

Flexible tagging is practically trademark for all who want to write more than the standard into the music files. I desperately need something like that, so I’m not giving up on Foobar2000. Roon doesn’t write to files at all. There is a separate meta-level in the program, which lives strongly from the standard, but object-related comes to other results and classifications, if e.g. the genre is not read from the files, but from foreign databases.

1 Like

MP3Tag is what I use to add/edit metadata in files.

1 Like