Endless File Loading Issue on Synology NAS with Roon (ref#R9VAK7)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

· Something else

How can we help?

· I'm having trouble adding music to my library

Describe the issue

I have a Synology NAS and have copied files from my other NAS to allow for expansion. I am using. 923+ with 3 WD 18 tb drives. I have set up as a raid so one of the 3 drives is redundant. When I load the library it keeps finding an endless number of files to load. It is over 2 miilion as I am typing waaayyyy above the amt of music I have saved from my cds. I have reinstalled Roon twice. Tried to tweak all settings. Deleted all data for fresh instal and keeps locating a seemingly endless amount of files. Does not happen on the other NAS not setup as raid, though much smaller drive 8tb. I checked and it does not appear to be duplicating what is in the library. Hoping this is an easy setting before I have to completely wipe the NAS and start over as a nonraid volume. I have to imagine this will not be necessary since all the data is good and would like the redundancy in case I have a future drive issue. Any help is much appreciated.

So, Roon finds all sorts of “hidden” files in your music directories on your Synology NAS, and I would estimate, in my experience, the ratio of these files to your actual music files is about 5.8:1. I don’t know how many music files you have, but let’s say it is scanning at least 2 million files; this means you likely have northward of 345,000 music files in your collection.

FWIW, these extra files are metadata used by Synology DSM for indexing purposes for Audio Station. You can clean them up to some degree by performing a re-index of your music under Control Panel > Indexing Service > Media Indexing > Re-index.

If that sounds wrong, then I suggest what you do is see if there is a directory somewhere under your /music directory of your Synology NAS that happens to contain a lot of non-music content, which is something that may have happened accidentally.