Endpoint/DAC recommendation similar to PS Audio DirectStream DAC

I am a lifetime subscriber and have an extensive Redbook CD collection ripped to a NAS. I use a hardwired LAN ethernet for all my connections to Roon. I do not currently listen to streamed music but may at some point. A have a PS Audio DierctStream DAC in my office system and love it, but I am looking for a more financially approachable suggestion for a really good quality Endpoint/DAC for another room. What I like about the PS Audio product is that not only does it pull great sound out of my CDs, but it is a simple solution without all the bells and whistles of so many of the other approved endpoint streamers. It’s a DAC with ethernet, period. Yes, it can be used as a preamp as well, but that is not something I use. Any suggestions please would be greatly appreciated. Best, Sam

1 Like

Financially approachable…hmm.

If an inbuilt DAC is needed.

I’d say Bluesound Node 2i. Or one if the Bluesound enabled NAD Dacs/amps.

Maybe one of the Allo/HiFi Berry/Orchard Audio products if you don’t mind messing around installing an OS. And adding Roon bridge to it in the case of Volumio. Ropiee is the simplest to do.

The new Volumio streamer also just got a good review on Darko.

I am definitely a more plug&play kind of guy. The PS Audio unit was $6898 USD with the bridge network card. I am looking for something more in the $2,000-$3000 range USD

Maybe try the Brooklyn Bridge? The Bluesound Node2i comes in a lot cheaper, but the day in it won’t compare to the Brooklyn.

1 Like

You might want to check out the Lumin line - there’s a number of us happy D2 owners on the forum or you can head further up the model/price range…

2 Likes

Find a Teac NT-505 if you can. Mine hasn’t missed a beat.

You could pick up a Direct Stream Jr. You could probably find a used one or even contact PSA and see if they have a refurb in your price range. The device was recently discontinued. The Bridge ii is quirky, but Paul is working on it.

I just sold mine at the lower end of your price range (1.5 years old and still under warranty).

Vincent DAC-7 (USB: 32 bit / 384 kHz (DSD:256))
1500 Euro

I will buy it soon.

1 Like

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I broke down and bought another PS Audio DirectStream DAC with the Bridge II Card. Looking forward to getting it in and set-up, along with the new gen-5 Monitor Audio Gold 300 speakers I just committed to as well. I think they will complement each other nicely in my system. Cheers, Sam