Endpoint recommendation

I’m looking for a solid, no frills endpoint for my Roon system. Here’s my setup:

Synology NAS running Roon → ethernet → TBD endpoint → USB → Peachtree Nova300

I was previously running straight from my Synology into the Peachtree but I need to upgrade to DSM 7 which no longer supports digital sound output via USB. I’m happy with the DAC in my Peachtree, so I don’t think I need the endpoint to have a DAC. I will use the Roon interface almost exclusively and don’t need/want additional apps or software on the streamer.

I’m considering the following endpoints:

• ifi Zen Stream ($399)
  • NAD CS1 ($349)
  • WiiM Pro ($149)

Is there some other option I should consider? Is the ifi Zen worth the cost? Should I just get the lowest price option?

Thanks!

1 Like

Raspberry Pi running Ropieee.

Does the Nova 300 have the garage in the back that you can park a streamer in like the OG Nova?

5 Likes

Have a look at the Lumin U2 mini. This is a streamer only, multiple connectivity options including USB and can be configured to operate in Roon mode.

1 Like

I’ve a Nova150 as one of the endpoints, and use a mini-PC with build-in screen as the streamer part (this one). Costs less than iFi or NAD, and since it runs full Windows, it’s usable as a full Roon remote, can output native DSD up to the full resolution Nova will take, and I measured it, there is no noise coming in through USB… Plus, it can be used as a normal (albeit not too super-powerful) computer, too.

Looks nice but $2400 is well beyond what I want to spend.

Super cool, I’ve not seen one of these before. Although I think a RPI with RoPiee would be less trouble than keeping windoze going :wink:

1 Like

If your fine with plugging it together then as suggested a RPi + Ropieee is a good option and comes in slightly cheaper than the WiiM.

RPi4 with Ropieee. Let me suggest an Akasa Gem Pro case to run fanless and cool.

3 Likes

I run a Nova300 and have a computer running RoonBridge via USB, a Node 2i feeding it via COAX and Analog. I previously had a DigiOne Player.

Moved the DigiOne out to a different setup and currently using the Node 2i.

I like the DigiOne better than the Node 2i by a far margin for a COAX feed. However, using a PC running RoonBridge and the Peachtree ASIO allows you to play DSD256 to it, so there is that.

1 Like

I have had RPi’s before and have a WiiM Pro.

For ease, I’d recommend the WiiM Pro. As a Roon endpoint, works very well. As a standalone streamer with it’s own software, it is also great.

RPi with RoPieee is also a good choice. A bit of tinkering, but worth it. Any issues with RoPieee and @spockfish in the RoPieee category can help.

Depends on your preference of connectivity also.

Depends on what (else) you may want to do with it. I kind of dig that it actually runs the full Roon client, so I can control everything right from the touchscreen. Or just set it to display album images. Being a general purpose PC it may not be quite as integrated as something like Eversolo or HiFi Rose, but you get a screen as good as Eversolo, a bit smaller than HiFi Rose, same SQ with an external DAC via USB, and more flexibility.

You can always wipe Windows and install Linux if you feel like it, too.

Thanks to all the suggestions. I decided to go for the RPi 4 with RoPieee. All in (RPi4, case, power, microSD) was $96 on Amazon and I will have it tomorrow!

FWIW, two things drove my decision: 1) Cost - hard to argue with $96 and one day free delivery, and 2) Minimalism - I wanted to minimize the extra software/hardware

3 Likes

I know you’ve already made your purchases, but I suggest a Sandisk Industrial SD card. They are quite a bit more robust than standard.