Entrypoints, the audio entrance to Roon, made the move to HiRes!

Great news!

Does this mean that my Oppo player (DSD, bitstream or LPCM output) can connect via S/PDIF to a Digi+ I/O HAT for hires into Roon?

Please walk us through this again.

A rough timing still showed about 5 seconds. ffmpeg has some options that might reduce latency but I haven’t tried them yet, not expecting a big improvement.

If the S/PDIF output is set to LPCM then this can indeed be brought into Roon, up to 192kHz, 24bit. What I did for testing is to put a few files, with different sampling frequencies, on a thumb drive, put the drive in my Blu-ray player and check that they all play well (after aligning the Format in the extension Settings).

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Fantastic 24bit support, works flawless. Many thanks.

1 Like

What ADC’s will work with this Jan on a pi? I have a HifiBerry DAC+ ADC but not convinced it’s a good solution as found it a little thin when I tried it previously.

I have no suggestions for a good sounding ADC. When searching for one you should check the specs for Linux ALSA support, that gives the highest chance that it will work.

It would be good to report what works and doesn’t work in this thread. I can then compile a list and put it in the project Wiki.

@Eric_Peters, willing to share what input HAT or soundcard you are using?

Good idea to collate what does work. Some ADC’s seem to work better on Mac or Windows such as the Focusrites , Motu 4 has Linux support but is kernel dependant. You can add my Hifiberry DAC+ ADc to the works list, I am sure the pro version will as well.

I use the HIfiberry DAC+ ADC, works good with 2bit 192khz. I have not yet wired it up in such way that I can compare analog direct vs analog-ADC-roon entry-digione-dac-analog out (Same preamp as direct) I will do that as soon as I have some time. i also want to try the balanced inputs instead of the small stereo jack and a better PS for the Pi. That said, from 16 to 24 bit was quite an improvement.

I also have an Apogee Duet 2 on a mac which I use as entry point for my Reel to Reel recorder (the hifi Berry is connected to monitor out on the ore amp so I can’t route any analog recorder through that,)
This apogee Duet on a Mac also works good but it is quite a hassle to start and link the programs and I have not checked if 24bit works yet.
The Hifiberry just works once configured. i will probably buy another one so I can put one of my turntables in the living room and route the audio through Roon with a convolution filter into the 96khz/24bit DI of my Beolab 5.

I just checked again for The Apogee Duett: I use BUTT on the Mac to stream this input through Roon. This is limited to 48khz 16 bit. Initially listening to the tape I had loaded it sounded okay but I realized I could do an a/b comparison by simply pressing the monitor on my pre-amp. Within a split second it was to me clear that a lot of the dynamics and air disappeared so I can’t really recommend this. (i also can route the Duett analog in directly to the analog out of the same audio interface and that is much better) it is very hard to hear any difference. So the streaming, converting to flac and Roon path definitely degrades the sound.

Tried this again for my Vinyl setup and the HifiBerry DAC+ ADC set at 192/24 works but it still sounds weak and lacks any musucallity. Going anlogue direct to my Naim amp works better and this doesnt have any DSP like I use in Roon. My amp does have an ADC when inputting analogue so you can use it for their own multiroom system and this is set at 48/24 goes to show that sample rate isnt always going to improve on things, the quality of the overall signal path is far more important when converting analogue to digital it seems. I think I may have to spend more than I would like to get the sound I want.

1 Like

I stopped using the Entry point via the iMac/Apogee Duet and the BUTT because the quality was nowhere near the Hifiberry ADC.
So I purchased an extra ADC Pro to be able to check sound quality against the Non-pro version but also to be able to setup a second analog source for my Roon network.

The problem I now have is that I cannot stream from 2 Audio Entrypoints (Dietpi) at the same time. I have to stop one to be able to start the other. Next to that they both have exactly the same name and I do not see how to change the name (maybe this is the cause).

Does anyone know how to change/fix this?

I did an A/B test with a Revox B77 direct into the monitor input of my Pre amp compared to B77 → Roon Entrypoint → 192/24 streaming → Allo DigiOne → ADI-2 Dad - Same Pre Amp.

I did this test for both the HifiBerry DAC+/ADC Pro and the Non Pro. The Pro is very good, hardly any difference. But the standard ADC the results were not so good. Probably/hopefully the biggest problem is that the standard version is not loud enough, so to be able to a direct A/B compare with the B77 I need maximise volume everywhere in the digital chain. I think this creates distortion because on it’s own, with volume levels below 0db it seemed to sound good.

That said anyone interested, I strongly recommend the Pro version of the DAC+/ADC

2 Likes

To give both streams a unique url you should set the hostname of the second Pi to something different, this second Pi can still connect to the Gateway that is running on the first.

To change the hostname in DietPi you run the dietpi-config command and then select Security Options → Hostname.

I installed a Digi+ I/O HAT to my RPi4 and confirmed Digi+ as the soundcard in DietPi config. While I could play CDs from usb with this device before, I now get “Unable to play this station…” after setting the appropriate bit rate and activating streaming. No sound.

If I enable it as an audio endpoint, it does play music via SPDIF out, so the HAT seems to work.

IceCast2 server shows that streaming has begun, but no sound yet.

Have you created a new radio station in Roon for the Audio Entrypoint? It is different from the CD Entrypoint. And can you play the stream directly from the Icecast web page?

Yes, I created a new station by copying the station URL from Audio Entrypoint settings.

No, the Icecast web page just scrolls without playing.

Can you collect log files and share them with me?

I don’t know how to send the g-zipped file. Gateway log says that the address of Pi4 is false:
"2022-04-17T21:02:23.948175000Z ← COMPLETE 0 Success {“core_id”:“e708cab2-8beb-4db2-b709-57a8602c7f86”,“display_name”:“Roon Optimized Core Kit”,“display_version”:“1.8 (build 931) stable”}
2022-04-17T21:02:23.950424000Z → REQUEST 1 com.roonlabs.registry:1/register {“extension_id”:“com.theappgineer.entrypoint-gateway”,“display_name”:“Entrypoint Gateway (DietPi)”,“display_version”:“0.1.2”,“publisher”:“The Appgineer",“email”:"theappgineer@gmail.com”,“required_services”:[],“optional_services”:[],“provided_services”:[“com.roonlabs.status:1”,“com.roonlabs.ping:1”],“website”:“http://192.168.1.235:8000”,“token”:“10fb1ac6-40aa-40c7-9bb0-a971446711ba”}
2022-04-17T21:02:23.953041000Z ← CONTINUE 1 Registered {“core_id”:“e708cab2-8beb-4db2-b709-57a8602c7f86”,“display_name”:“Roon Optimized Core Kit”,“display_version”:“1.8 (build 931) stable”,“token”:“10fb1ac6-40aa-40c7-9bb0-a971446711ba”,“provided_services”:[],“http_port”:9330}
2022-04-17T21:02:23.956331000Z Core found: Roon Optimized Core Kit
2022-04-17T21:02:23.958051000Z → CONTINUE 1 Changed {“message”:“Gateway IP: 192.168.1.235”,“is_error”:false}
2022-04-17T21:02:23.961236000Z ← REQUEST 1 com.roonlabs.status:1/subscribe_status {“subscription_key”:“4”}
2022-04-17T21:02:23.962272000Z → CONTINUE 1 Subscribed {“message”:“Gateway IP: 192.168.1.235”,“is_error”:false}

Now I have emailed the files…

I’m loving Entrypoints, thank you Jan! For several years I’ve had no good location to put my turntable near enough to the rest of the system; networked audio to the rescue, and now the TT can live on the far side of the room.

I’ve taken advantage of the space inside the plinth of my late-60’s Pioneer turntable to hide some newer technology: a Hagerman Bugle phonostage feeding a Raspberry Pi with HiFiBerry A/D converter. The digitized signal outputs to ethernet on the Pi, and onwards to Roon.

3 Likes

This is great! How are you handling power? Assuming the turntable is still in use, are you borrowing power from the table’s shared power? If so, any concerns or noticeable differences in audio from either the table or the HifiBerry?

I’ve built a handful of Pi streamers for Roon over the years but always hit a wall when I’ve wanted to create a single component with multiple devices and tools in the same chassis due to not trusting myself with aggregating power into one PSU. Would love to build an incoming Pi streamer with an entrypoint for the turntable and tape deck.