Equalizer? Wide dynamic range

Thanks. Yes. I see.

There are 60+ tracks on the 15 symphonies. But most seem to be between 22 and 27. Thanks for that link, @Traian_Boldea; I shall read that page and see if it also gives me some ideas :slight_smile:

1 Like

Free software tools do exist to facilitate that on the fly.

I won’t go into any further detail, because those tools could be used to …

… defraud creators of their intellectual property (quoted from a Roon staff admonition aimed at me)

That’s definitely something I do not want to encourage anyone to do, and strongly advise against!
:man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Ok, but just out of my curiosity (as I’m not sure that lower dynamic range would make symphonies more listenable from my point of view) there is no setting in Roon app that can do this? And if I want to try without any “defraud” finding the album on a streaming service were it has smaller dynamic range is one workaround?
Thanks

Edit: Roon does or it does not display dynamic range for tidal/qobuz?

1 Like

From my point of view (as a sound engineer mainly hired for classical and jazz productions), reducing the dynamic range of recorded music doesn’t seem like a particularly good idea. IMHO, it makes more sense to just use the volume knob, if need be…

2 Likes

Have you tried this version by the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra?

1 Like

No, Roon actually can’t because that content is not local and thus not analyzed by it’s code - streaming services don’t embed DR in their metadata, either.

That’s why I built my roon-dynamic-range-metering-bridge

2 Likes

Apologies for the hijack question.
I don’t listen to a lot of classical music at home, I’m not very knowledgeable so trying to go to concerts.
Are the recordings quieter than one would hear in the concert hall and so the need to increase the quietest sections or would it be as heard live?

1 Like

Thank you
I know about the roon dynamic range metering bridge and the only thing that I would like there is a bigger screen. Supposedly I do not understand the graphs they still look better than most of album covers.

Ideally I would match the volume levels to be as heard live but even if I would have the perfect speakers and the perfect room I’m sure that my neighbours do not like Shostakovich. So in my logic that leads to lowering the overall volume and that leads to the the recording being “quieter”

With classical I can go listen to some chamber music but with live indie/rock/etc it is harder.

Hope @HWZ would know what process is applied after record something in a large hall and you want that to be played in an “usual” room

I would guess that Shostakovich Complete symphonies on Spotify has a chance to have less dynamic range.

1 Like

I think that Roon is missing a useful feature here, not so much for home listening but for use with ARC and in the car. If Roon DSP included a compressor and enabled it to be used for ARC, listening in noisy environments and to high DR music would be a lot easier. Use of the feature would be selectable in the ARC app and as a normal DSP plug-in.

3 Likes

Good point - how about a feature suggestion, then!

2 Likes

I’m sure this has been suggested before, but I’ll have a go and let the mods merge it if necessary.

EDIT: Quick search brings up this existing post, zero votes:

2 Likes

If you have the files locally, you can DIY:

1 Like

Yes always an option but takes work and storage space and not as easy as selecting a DSP preset or throwing a switch in ARC. So easy to do, there must be loads of open-source DSP compressor code available that could be integrated into Roon.

1 Like

Sure. Once in a while Roon product development/marketing could opt for something sensible.

Here’s hoping.

2 Likes

Nope

1 Like

The absolute max or min volume of course depends on the position of your volume knob. That can be set to real levels in principle.

The dynamic range between lowest and highest volume in a work, however, is typically already compressed somewhat for recordings, compared to the live event. The full real range between a single flute or triangle compared to 100 people in an orchestra at full volume is probably too much for the home and most systems. It definitely was that way for vinyl because that couldn’t represent the real range at all. Maybe it changed somewhat with digital but I think some compression is still used, typically.

However, in some cases more compression may be desired for home or in particular car. There’s a difficult balance here because many hifi people want as little as possible. So, doing this on the fly with DSP would be ideal to satisfy both preferences

4 Likes

Agreed. I definitely want to do something - if possible - which is within Roon and which is temporary, work by work; which I can choose and which does not change the original file.

That’s what I have been doing. And I follow - and respect your reasoning completely, @HWZ!

Part of the problem is that I live in a relatively noisy environment… leaf blowers, air conditioning etc :frowning:

Yes, thanks, @Menzies, I know that version. But I want to be able to have perhaps just a little more control over what I’m listening to at any one time :slight_smile: