Roon-Dynamic-Range-Metering-Bridge

It’s a RaspberryPi 3B+ with official 7" touchscreen and RPi-OS 32-bit bullseye desktop installation, running Roon bridge and ALSA-loopback, in order to be grouped with the main end point, showing real-time accumulated EBU128-conform loudness range - just like what Roon calculates after analyzing local files - together with Bob Katz’s level and stereo-correlation meter, plus a spectrum analyzer with it’s frequency axis aligned in octaves around 440Hz standard pitch.

Dropbox video

Bottom right in pic …

6 Likes

That’s quite nifty. I recently was trying to do something similar with volumio and peppymeter but never was able to get the loopback audio into volumio to display the animations. Congrats on your success.

Thanks…
I also toyed with Peppy Meter, but discarded it, since it’s just visuals and of no real informational value…

1 Like

That’s fair, but do you do anything with this information or is it more a cool visual effect?

Yes, i.e. monitoring and comparing dynamic ranges of streamed to local versions of the same song or album… and it’s a cool visual effect… :laughing:

1 Like

Neat setup

I had been using MoodeAudio on a raspberry Pi - which has excellent upsampling (IMHO)
(and planned to connect it to a 7" touch screen)

It too supports Roon ( although reading the details doesn’t display Roon’s cover art)

does RPi-OS 32-bit bullseye (or the version you might be on now?) upsample well?

I use that set-up for metering only, although one could use a HAT or USB DAC, since roon bridge is installed.
If you’re upsampling in Roon’s ecosystem, that’s done in the core in 64bit floating point, not the end-point, anyway.
Roon’s RAAT protocol always streams raw PCM to the endpoint.
Only DSP volume processing is offloaded to the endpoint.

1 Like