Error checking for update message when installing updates on MacBook Air, iPhone, and iPad (ref#WVYH19)

Full form submission

What’s happening?

Something else

How can we help?

None of the above

Other options

My Roon software won't start up

Getting “there was a error checking for an update” message when clicking install update on MacBook Air (Roon server and Remote) and iPhone and iPad (remotes)

Hi @Steve_Lewis1

I’m a fellow Roon user.

Reboot your Roon Server device, your MacBook Air.

If this doesn’t work, reboot your router.

Post back your results.

Hi @Menzies
Thanks for trying to support.
I Quit Roon Server, Shutdown and restarted MacBook Air.
No difference.
I rebooted Router.
No difference.
The screenshot above was from attempted install on iPhone.
This one is from attempted install on MacBook Air

Has this ever been an issue before for you?

Have you set up a static IP on the Mac and also a different DNS to your network?

I have seen others have similar troubles before with a Mac. A manual install has helped before.

https://roonlabs.com/downloads

For clarity I recently (14 days ago?) moved my roon server from PC to Mac.
I followed all the instructions and it all went well and has worked fine since on the MacBook and iPhone/iPad remotes.
Arc continues to work.
I don’t think there’s been an update available since - I have it “ask before updating” since so this may be the first time since.
Never had update issues previously.
I’m not sure I know if I know how to check:
“Have you set up a static IP on the Mac and also a different DNS to your network?”
Prior to the PC I ran the Roon server on Mac Mini with no problems.

Chances are you are one of the small subset of users who have encountered an update issue.

A read in the release notes a manual update via a manual download is most likely the fix you seek.

Right.
Does that require an uninstall of existing and a complete re-install/setup of new - using an existing backup?? maybe.

Nope, just download the latest version from the link I posted and install over the top.

Shutdown Roon Server and the UI screen first.

When I went back to Roon on my MacBook instead of looking like the screenshot where both the Roon Remote and Roon Server boxes showed “error when checking for update” the Roon Remote showed “waiting for server” which is referenced on other threads which I think can be linked through from the one you shared above.
Those suggested a new manual install so I used your link and downloaded and after shutting down Roon server and UI first I installed and went through a few steps and seem to be up and running and it now looks like:

Which I take to be the correct latest version.

Yep, that is the latest version :+1:

All good now

Thank you @Menzies
Checked my iPhone and iPad and all good
You’re a star for sticking with me
Cheers

1 Like

You’re most welcome @Steve_Lewis1

Happy music listening :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.