Error: No audio devices detected [Solved]

This is interrupting Roon playing Tidal. After loss of audio devices the sound pauses - upon press of play arrow it starts again.

Seems random. Definitely a new issue. My setup hasn’t changed. Mac Mini with USB out to a Benchmark 3 DAC.

Is this possibly a wifi connectivity issue of the iPad? I would have thought an error like “no core detected” would be symptomatic of wifi issue. If not wifi caused then it seems like a bug. I have also noticed Tidal is extremely sluggish to start playing lately.

could be many things including your iPad connecting to the wrong wifi network (SSID)

Assuming the MACMini is where your Core is. What is the spec of this machine? is it using wifi too or LAN connected?

Hi @Rhythmatist, thank you for contacting support and sharing this observation you have made with us. The insight is appreciated!

Moving forward, to help aide in our evaluation of this behavior you are reporting may I very kindly ask you to provide me with the following:

• Please expanded on the description of your setup using this link as guide. I want to have a better sense of the gear you are working with.

• As Wizardofoz asked, can you please let me know if your Mac Mini connected to the router via a Wi-Fi connection or a hardwired connection (Ethernet CAT5/6 cable)?

• Can you please provide a screenshot of the Signal Path information from the Core while there is music playing and the Benchmark is connected? You can see what the signal path should look like on this page: link

• In your report I know you had mentioned running into this issue when playing back TIDAL content, can you verify how locally stored content performs?

• Are there any other audio zones that you can replicate the problem on or is the Benchmark 3 your only audio zone?

• If you have not already, please try to rebooting not only Roon Core but also any active endpoints, remotes, and relevant networking hardware.

• Since noticing this behavior have you tried testing with another DAC mounted to the Mac Mini or perhaps testing with another USB cable?

• You mentioned the following in your post:

Is this possibly a wifi connectivity issue of the iPad? I would have thought an error like “no core detected” would be symptomatic of wifi issue. If not wifi caused then it seems like a bug. I have also noticed Tidal is extremely sluggish to start playing lately.

• Just to make sure we are on the same page, is your iPad dropping it’s connection to the core as well?

Please let me know when possible.

Thank You,
Noris

Mac Mini running Roonserver. 2.8Ghz i5. Mini connected to Benchmark DAC 3 with USB. Mini optical going to Macintosh preamp. Both zones running together. Issue is the same with local content. Both devices have same issue when “No audio devices detected” error occurs. The error message appears on my iPad.

No drop to core. Mac Mini connected by wifi. Wifi at the server location is in excess of 179 MBPS.

What does the error message mean? And why is the error message not specific but could be “a lot of things”. Audio devices should be detected by the Roonserver running on MAC Mini and these devices are hard wired - so what does this have to do with WIFI.

Could it be an issue with 1.3 Roon Remote app vs 1.5 on iPad. I noticed my iPad app was not updated to the latest even though I said “update all” to the last notification within Roon?

Since updating to 1.5 it has been running a few hours without a glitch.

Running out sync versions is a recipe for problems.

Yes. I thought running different versions of Remote and Roinserver might be a problem which is why I reported it right away. To be honest I didn’t realize that when you select update from the blue type written update alert message within the Roon Remote App that it ONLY updates the Roonserver.

MY BAD! :rage:

It applies to the roon core and remotes for that machine, plus any roon bridge endpoints.

It does not include iOS or android platforms. They must be done in the relevant app stores.

It updates the platforms we have control over – so if you’re on a Windows or Mac Remote with Linux Core, it will update both.

Mobile platforms, however, must be updated from their respective app stores. Nothing we can do about that, but having said that, we might be able to make this experience more clear. I’ll think about that, but thanks for the feedback @Rhythmatist!

Perhaps a background check from the remote app with the RoonServer to see if versions match and to give an alert message if they don’t!

It would probably help some of your less technology savvy users!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.