Error 'Roon lost control of the audio device' when streaming to Sonos after recent Roon and Mac OS upgrades (ref#YAOUFJ)

What’s happening?

· Something else

How can we help?

· None of the above

Other options

· Other

Describe the issue

I stream Roon via Apple Airplay and Sonos. I receive an error message "Roon lost control of the audio device" when I attempt to stream using Sonos. My set up is Mac mini as the server, (2) Sonos Fives, Sonos Arc, (2) Sonos Play 1. The problem started several weeks ago after an upgrade of both Roon and MAC OS.

Describe your network setup

Motorola modem and router

Hi @Carmen_Franceschino

I’m a fellow Roon user.

Is your Roon Server connected to your network via ethernet and at the router?

Are you streaming to the Sonos devices using AirPlay or Sonos Streaming?

Are any of the Sonos devices connected to your network via ethernet or just WiFi?

2 Likes

Hey @Carmen_Franceschino,

Good to see you on the community again!

@Menzies is steering you in the right direction with the questions above. I’d also add that it may be worth reviewing your router settings to ensure your Roon devices are jumping between different local subnets. See if you;re able to confirm everything shares the first three IP schemes, for example: 192.168.1.

Here’s more info:

We’ll be on standby for reply! :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Thanks @Menzies and @Benjamin for your quick replies and advice.
I stream Roon via wifi in my home. My router/modem has two “channels” (not sure if that is the right word), 2.5 and 5.0. Setting my wifi on 5.0 I only have access to Roon via Airplay. Setting my wifi on 2.5 I am able to stream Roon over Airplay and Sonos. So, that seems to fix everything for me, unless you both have any suggestions. Thanks again! Much appreciate your advice.