EtherREGEN versus direct network cable

Direct network cable.

Sorry but anyone who thinks that their system sounds better due to an expensive switch box really does need to lay off the placebo for a while.

Mesasurements prove this to the point where manufacturers of such products won’t even give you the measurements that matter as they know they are selling snake oil.

I forget which one said it, but one snake box seller said their switch “makes your music more musical”.

For those who do hear this new musicality in their music, PM me as I’ve got some ocean front property in Switzerland to rent out. You’ll like it, the ocean there “smells more oceany”.

7 Likes

I also have a Lumin X1 with ER. My setup is Orbi satellite (direct Ethernet from Orbi Router) via Ethernet to ER>B side then optical to X1. I’ve followed Peter’s (Lumin) recommendations and it works beautifully. I’m very happy with the setup and continue to be pleasantly surprised with my listening experience.

1 Like

In my case, Markus, I found the addition of fiber to the eR made a difference. Not subtle. But even in its standard configuration, I found the eR to make a difference in my system.

1 Like

They do make a difference and there are many many who can/do attest to that. [Moderated]

4 Likes

Has anyone done a blind test of 10 with vs without? If you can’t identify around 8/10 in a simple test, you are basically guessing and can’t tell the difference if it is in use or not. Once the eyes see it in use, the brain is free to “hear” expected differences. I have not seen anyone attempt to do a simple test like this.

2 Likes

Maybe some people believe in facts vs impressions … facts are, as measures show, that they have 0 impact on sound. Talking about having a head in a sand, some have their whole body in :wink:

2 Likes

Show me the measured evidence if you believe there is plenty.

Convincing yourself that your 500 dollar switch is the holy grail of upgrades is just that, convincing yourself.

If you believe that a switch is such an audible upgrade to your experience I strongly believe that you have problems elsewhere in your system.

As I’ve stated, measured evidence proves that the 500 dollar snake box adds absolutely no more improvement to the signal received by the DAC than a 20 dollar switch does.

[Moderated]

5 Likes

So your saying you can input to eR via the B side then all the connections from the A Side get the isolation of the eR vs just one connection as output on the B Side?

You can’t hear facts. Maybe you can hear it but it can’t be measured. They found out the world isn’t flat after all, took ages though.

Curious, you’ve tried it right?

ogdens_sliced is probably correct… he doesn’t hear a difference on his system. I’ll bet if you had his DAC in your system, you would agree. You need a higher end DAC for tweeks like the ones you’re talking about to be heard. I was a non-believer a few years ago until I got a $4k DAC, then I found out that it does indeed make difference.

No I’ve not tried it. I don’t waste my time on snake oil, especially when it’s scientifically proven to be just that via measurement.

But hey, if your ears are happy with the sound of money flapping in the wind then soak it up.

Enjoy those pre-DAC signals :joy::joy:

4 Likes

I don’t own a 4K DAC either. Nor do I plan on purchasing one.

Measurements… how do you measure the size and placement of an instrument in a signal?

I don’t know; how do they get it right when developing these awesome products? You should ask Uptone folks how they get the exact dimensions of the instruments without being albe to measure anything in the signal? By luck?

Sometimes it’s easier to just address the problem instead of wasting time and money measuring it. In this paper they talk about what issues that they have addressed in the etherregen.

2 Likes

A “scientific” paper based purely on description.
Surely we would expect to see some, you know, evidence via measurement to back the intent up. It would be the easiest thing in the world to show Case A v Case B and draw a conclusion. I’ve only seen 3rd party do that and I agree with their conclusion.
Just sayin.

Anyway, my time in this thread is over. You guys who want to believe enjoy listening to your box of tricks. I’ll just carry on listening to the music.

Peace :v:

3 Likes

It’s strange that a number of people get so upset just because others are pursuing a certain topic

1 Like

The difference can’t be measured because it does not exist, happy we agree.

The most fun part is that packets from one song that traveled different paths, cities, long distance, suddenly sound better with a switch on the last few meters before the audio system … really … explain that. (for streaming )

Anyhow, glad you hear what can’t be measured:

3 Likes

I never said it was a scientific paper. I simply said that it’s easier to describe a problem and have them attempt to address it.

We are not sophisticated enough the measure something that is a psycho-acoustic experience.

I enjoy my stereo because I like the sound, not because it measures better…

1 Like