Europa Radio Jazz en HI-RES

Bonjour,
La radio Europa radio Jazz propose deux liens pour écouter le flux
HD : https://onair.europaradiojazz.org/radio/8000/hd
SD : https://onair.europaradiojazz.org/radio/8000/sd

Roon ne prend que le lien sd (capture d’écran). Les applis android et IOS fonctionnent bien en HD. Avez_vous une solution pour Roon pour conserver la qualité Hi-Res de cette radio
Merci

2022-04-14T22:00:00Z

1 Like

Bonjour @Francois_BOYER
I don’t see this. I can play both streams without problems.

Here is the hd stream…

Bonjour François,
Chez moi Roon joue sans pb le flux haute résolution AAC 320kbps.
(as already confirmed by BrianW)

Bonjour
Effectivement le flux fonctionne en SD mais pas en HD (flac). Le format AAC est un format compressé avec perte même en 320kbps. Le voyant devant devant le mot source est en orange et non en vert. Roon le considère comme une qualité inférieure. Comme je le disais dans mon message précédent. Roon ne prend pas en compte le lien HD mais uniquement le lien SD. Je ne sais pas ou est le problème et s’il y a une solution.

1 Like

The station is not applying the same definition of HD as you want it to.
It calls AAC 320kps as HD, to differentiate it from the alternate and lower quality stream at lower bitrate which it calls SD.

What some radio stations (not just this one) call HD is most definitely not the same as what audiophile expects HiRes to be.

If you desire FLAC radio for Jazz, look elsewhere.

1 Like

I’m not surprised at the confusion…

From the station’s website

We’d like to remember that our radio station streams jazz music with the highest file format at the moment. As a matter of fact, Europa Radio Jazz broadcasts using FLAC files. FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) is a musical file format that offers bit-perfect copies of CDs but at half the size. It is compatible with many Phones (including the iPhone – with an app), portable music players (PMP) including the PonoPlayer and hi-fi components. FLAC files are available for roughly the same price as the equivalent MP3 in online stores and sound much better.

And from their Linkedin site

Furthermore, the quality of this radio station is based on Flac files, the audio coding format for lossless compression of digital audio in order to stream the best sound ever.

This doesn’t seem right at all.

The website stream is not flac but the hd stream referenced above, which, as @wklie , points out, is an aac 320 stream (aac lc). While they appear to have had a flac stream in the past, I haven’t been able to find a true flac stream now.

I know 2: Naim Jazz and Cro Jazz.

C’est quand même curieux car cela fonctionne bien avec leur appli dédiée android et IOS. J’ai pu contrôler on a bien une diffusion en flac et même sur internet il y a bien deux liens différents pour avoir soit SD soit HD. J’ai contacté laradio mais je n’ai pas eu de réponse.

Je connais les radios comme Naim ou Crpo Jazz qui diffusent bien en flac.

1 Like

How did you verify the iOS and Android apps got FLAC instead of anything else?

I checked the data usage of the Europa Radio Jazz Android app playing the HD stream for 60 minutes, assuming my Android phone data usage is to be trusted and assuming I’ve done the calculation correctly, it’s a little over 320kbps, nowhere near FLAC bit rate (at least 500kbps).

1 Like

Also check out:

• City Radio Chile
  • Jazz Groove (FLAC requires paid subscription)
  • Radio Blues FLAC (not sure if this counts)

…and usually double that.

Bonjour Merci de votre réponse.
Effectivement je n’ai pas d’outil pour vérifier la qualité du flux. Si ce n’est mon oreille et les renseignements que donnent la radio Diffusion en flac pour Europa Radio Jazz.

Certaines radio comme Naim Jazz ou Cro Jazz sont bien diffusées en Flac mais d’autres comme The Jazz Groove qui a pourtant un flux en flac n’est pas pris en charge par Roon en flac mais en MP3 même si on ment un lien HD.

The Jazz Groove offers flac only as part of its subscription service - it’s not freely available. If you have an account, you can stream through Roon. See

This topic was automatically closed after 22 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.