Evaluation of a Roon launch with millions of music titles

Well I have a Music fan for many decades…at present only have about 1000 albums ripped and I have stuff I don’t remember acquiring…there is simply NO WAY to listen to that may tracks period! So then why do it? Just to challenge the software? How does that enhance the enjoyment?

1 Like

If you read Uwe’s posts, or his last response for an abridged version, he’s doing it to build up a known ‘good’ library from which to make “musical excursions with AI and good starting points”. Will it work? I have no idea. Does that mean we should call the idea (or Uwe) dumb? I don’t think so.

3 Likes

Ich habe die 60fache Menge an Tracks als absolute Lieblingsongs mehrfach gehört mit 5 Sternen versehen, geherzt und als Ausflügsziel für weiter Lieder erfolgreich genutzt. Das geht heute ohne Plattenladen, Musikmagazin einfach nur (KI) Technik. Die gute Lösung verdrängt das alte Vorgehen.

2 Likes

I’m glad it’s a good solution for you…seems like a waste of time to me but each to his own…Way to go!

1 Like

All of this is a stark contrast to my lifestyle the last 10 years or so. I have been obsessed with getting rid off everything I own. I told my wife, when I die, reformat my hard drive and I’ll be gone.

3 Likes

I would have liked to carry it to the finish line, but with the Release 1.8-952 / 970 I can’t really make any more progress. I break off the attempt and say goodbye to the community again for the time being.

Return never excluded, because things change dynamically.

The End (2017 Remaster) without Doors through the metadata analysis

2 Likes

Uwe,
Hello from Odenwald. I am a crazy collector, too like you.
My platform is an iMac 2019, 8-core i9, 128GB RAM, internal 2Tb NVME & 8TB SSD, external 64TB Thunderbolt 3 Raid.
I collect digitally since 2001 and my philosophy is quality: lossless and HiRes only since 2009, nice folder organizing, hires covers, good tagging. Actual size of Roon database is 64GB, home for about 40TB of Music containing the amount of music seen in the added picture.

After some 21 months of only caring for existing folders (albumsplitting with cue files, tagging, adding coverart), I recently began adding new music to the library. With this kind of correctness and having in mind to take care of not yet handled existing albums, I think I can be able to add maybe 20000 tracks a month. I guess I‘m a kind of hardcore music librarian. I, too, enjoy making musical excourses, not knowing where the journey ends. Often it ends because songs are skipped because of faulty programming of the Mac version of Roon. I hope there is soon a cure for this because this is a music listening killer! There would be much more to say… but enough for now. I rarely post anything. Bernd
1 Like

@Bernd_Ruths1 All your images and words make it clear that you live and work for the music and, like me, remain on the search.

Roon has the best basic characteristics to perform with sufficient hardware. The development step 1.8 was conceptually convincing for me. However, it has not yet been implemented for all situations in such a way that general enjoyment remains possible.

Mac’s currently are not the best platform to manage a large library in Roon. This is likely to change when the new version using native .net and not mono arrives. But until then memory issues hold Roon back for large libraries on mac and it’s recommended to use Windows or linux.

1 Like

That‘s right. When I began there was only iTunes and I collected only mp3. When I began the lossless tour in 2009 I had about 155.000 mp3 and iTunes worked with that quite good. But getting lossless material meant for iTunes always to convert it to .m4a lossless.
Nowadays with Roon, Audirvana and all other players one can get most albums with no need to change the format. Only some formats are not recogized by Roon, for example 32bit Tracks in aif. I learned to convert them in to .wav, the other parameters unchanged. Most of these albums are still on my to do list.
By the way: I got used to analyze the albums with Musicscope when I add them to the catalogue. This way I can always have a look at the corresponding audio graphics directly in Roon when the listening experience is not convincing.
After all I learned: when I raised the quality level in the past there were always albums that had not yet got the step before.

After update to 2.0 everything works flawlessly and the handling of nearly 800.000 music titles is really responsive. After 2 years of frustration it is now a pleasure to make a „satari“ in my musiclibrary.

Does anyone really spend $2.65 million for a collection of digital music files?

In some cases yes. In others they spend it on cars, property, waging wars and even political donations! That said, I’d be interested to find out how you came to that figure. You can buy people’s CD collections often consisting of hundreds of tittles for a lot less than a dollar per CD. Rip them and sell anything on you don’t wish to keep and you can do it at zero cost. All it takes is your time!

1 Like

Nice one. I though I noticed a slow down recently :wink:
What it’s your tagging process prior to Roon assimilation?

Yep, over the last 10 years, I’ve had lots of friends that dump their CD collections (typically few hundred CDs each) on me for free. They’ve all moved on to Spotify and rather than goodwill shop, they give me their CDs, because they know I’m that crazy person that still actually wants this stuff. I keep what I want and give the rest to Goodwill or Salvation Army.

p.s. That said, I have about 5 or 6 thousand CDs that I’ve purchased since the mid 1980s. That tells me I’ve probably spent $80k+ on CDs alone. That doesn’t count the hundreds of albums from the 60s through the 80s (although admittedly I had way fewer back then as I had limited funds!). Or concert tickets for last 50 years, which have gotten way more expensive than my $3.50 tickets to see every major rock band in the late 1960s/early 1970s. Bob Dylan & the Band tickets were something like $7.50 in 1974 and people were in an uproar over these super expensive tickets. Fast forward to Bruce Springsteen on Broadway for $800 or so. :wink:

2 Likes

I really spend much time on music. That not only means listening but also being a librarian and caring about the good sound of my hifi system. So there are 3 branches that help in making the thing interesting. All branches of a totally different kind and music is the link.
Actually there are 801.000 songs hosted by Roon. I will never hear all of them though. But think of it as a huge base or a fair. You like to go to some places especially but often you find different places where you can to if you have the posibility.

1 Like