Experience of a new user

I think because, fundamentally, Roon got some stuff very right indeed - their hardware integration and ecosystem is without peers. The way Qobuz and Tidal seamlessly integrate with our collections; again, without peers. That’s a difficult act to follow, but strong competition is now desperately needed, either to nudge Roon out of their myopic “we know best” worldview, or to give disenfranchised users somewhere else to go.

1 Like

Don’t hold your breath , AS is not a white Knight :smiling_imp:

While calling Roon still a beta is a little extreme but it does come across as juvenile from time to time. The 1.8 release was specially horrendous. As a paying customer, I shouldn’t have gone through the travails in this day and age.

2 Likes

Don’t worry too much about that first post from a new supercritical user who’s gone in a month.
It’s not worth the time.
Go out, enjoy the sun, and enjoy your music with roon this evening. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

2 Likes

a) Being an a**hole is absolutely not necessary, especially if you are asking for an advice.
b) In regards to the chain you have, it’s been pointed to the issue of AMDs CPU – Ryzen or Core i7?
c) I didn’t get - does it or does it not work with McIntosh Radio and Tidal Streaming
d) Roon operates mainly on a local network powers, not internet connection. Danny Dulai pointed to it numerous times. You internet might work flawlessly, but your local might suck. Did you check Firewall? Did you try to connect Roon Core other way around? Did you check your Vodafone Router settings?

Many of us had issues like you do, I had with my Chord Hugo2Go and we all found a solution by fixing the network and adjusting it a bit.

2 Likes

This is my experience too.

For example, people think that managed switches are the best to go for. Nope. Roon works best using simple, unmanaged switches.

Attention to your LAN cannot be overstated.

3 Likes

I knew it! @Martin_Kelly you should expect a “thank you” note from Cisco, I just let them know this and it was such a revelation that they immediately fired all they network engineers and upgraded the management software in all their switches to the unmanageable status. The internet is two times faster now!!!

1 Like

Like many things in life… Managed switches work fine if you’re trained in managing switches. That’s not something most people care to do. That’s why standard, non-managed, switches commonly work better with Roon (and not just Roon they work better out of the box for a lot of things). If an individual is not trained to use the tool then it’s better to get a simpler tool. There is a technique to using a hammer… best not to start-out with the heaviest one so not to lose a thumb :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

+1

I tried a managed switch, and had awful problems.

I then replaced it with a NETGEAR GS105, and haven’t had any problems since :smiley:

3 Likes

When I read Roon had no linux support, and he had fired up a vm running android, I knew it wasn’t a well researched opinion and it would probably perform poorly. It did.

I’m new, it works well for me and yes, I’ve tried pretty much all the others. My unasked for $0.02

2 Likes

I think in this case for most (non network trained user’s) the suggestion of Netgear GS105 or GS108 are perfect (or swap brand for your favourite).
I have a house full of them in the name of keeping the network as simple as possible. I manage a large network by day and don’t want to do it by night as well.

There are reasons to go complex, but simplicity is the best solution for those that can’t understand it or fix it themselves

2 Likes

They also support Songcast, which is the mechanism we use on old Linn devices.

UPNP is not supported, nor will it ever be. This is a matter of our team being philosophically opposed to the technology. If the use case requires UPNP, Roon won’t work for it.

You couldn’t be more wrong here. We do not charge for Roon Ready certification. Also, we dug in our heels about UPNP for 2 years prior to having the Roon Ready program.

I answered this here, long ago:

As for being a paying customer, did you pay for Roon thinking it supported UPNP? Did we do something to make the impression that UPNP was supported?

4 Likes

Lol. Danny is like Biggie Smalls – you just have to say his name 3 times and he magically shows up!
Reference – ‘Old joke from South Park Show

…Or maybe say something good about UPNP :rofl:

1 Like

Same experience here, literally was praying for Netgear Managed switch – ended up throwing it away.

1 Like

busy day today, just picking off the easy responses when I can!

3 Likes

No need to harm the hardware.
I use to joke that “basura” meant trunk of the black nissan outside. I’ve learned on and used a lot of gear acquired that way.
Call. I’ll buy you lunch. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is exactly the problem of this forum, especially for support.
New users do not find their way, and answers on their questions, trying to find anything sensible.

If I may make 2 suggestions:

1. make a number of sticky topics stating Roon’s vision and principles: no upnp, no folder browsing, … so people know what to expect.
  2. make an independant support forum, where only Roon support can provide the answers.

As Roon subscribers base is growing, so are the number of topics. Only the old guard remember of topics already discussed.

Just try to make it simpler and actual.
Dirk

5 Likes

Cisco 2960’s when set to factory default act as an unmanaged switch and are very good and plug and play. The problem is they are quite affordable compared to new on the used market but not always reset. Not sure about other managed switches.

Managed switches are called that for a reason. They require managing. If one doesn’t understand this basic principle stick to unmanaged. Once managed they are run perfectly and trouble free.

3 Likes