Experience of a new user

Hi Gar ye

Your personal experience and my personal experience might be different.

I’m assuming we’re both lifetime. And that we use recommended equipment and have looked for best practices for hours or days and implemented them. Took all reasonable efforts to make Roon a stable music solution.

Yet here we are. On different sides of the Roon divide.

I appreciate your personal experience. But it’s not my personal experience.

It’s disturbing to hear/read about issues some folks encounter, and the long wait for support to reach their position in the queue. Seems to be happening at an alarming rate and has me concerned.

I’ve had 2 “serious” issues using Roon in 2.5 years, both occurred during a 60 day trial period as I recall. First issue was painful, Denon receiver and airplay (full volume on startup). The second issue was related to drop outs and/or severe stuttering during playback. The support team responded to the issues quickly as did the community. I went for the Lifetime Subscription before the trial ended and have not been disappointed.

I have not had any issues or firsthand experience with the support staff in a long time but it appears, based solely on what I’ve read in the forum, that things have changed and the support I remember is not the same.

But the whole world has changed during that same time frame. That has to affect the Roon team as it does the rest of us. We, the Roon community, need to keep that in mind. And trust that Roon will get back to the level of support the community needs.

2 Likes

One of the issues with Roon that people don’t consider is that it has to run on a plethora of different platforms with an impossible assortment of configurations. Granted, this is what Roon is designed for and the Roonies should be prepared for the associated headaches, but support for the magnitude of potential problems from such a wide assortment of equipment and configurations has to be a challenge.

2 Likes

I don’t defend Roon per se, I merely stated that the last figure I saw was 250k users , the number of complaints, cries for support here is minuscule.

Since this forum is the primary source of support and community help, the conclusion I draw is that there are many trouble free installations out there

Roon is not perfect, what software is, the shortfalls maybe in the feature set , which I have a list, but most complaints, as far as I interpret the forum are around hardware . Specifically connectivity. Analyse the complaints mentally and a common theme pops out — substandard domestic networks, normally from trying to use WiFi where it is inappropriate.

If I were for some reason unable to use Ethernet connections then I would be questioning my subscription.

I persist with Roon (year 6 coming soon) in the hope that 1.9 and other future releases will deliver some of “my missing features”. I still maintain my legacy system in parallel to give me the missing features eg classical box sets . Ironically this is sufficiently less network intensive to allow WiFi if I wanted.( I don’t)

Yes there are die hard Roon Defenders and for good reasons. Their network is robust enough to support a trouble free Roon.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion , this is just mine :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Mike is correct, if we only looked at the forums one would think that Roon does not work at all for almost anyone.
But I think Danny previously said there are only a few thousands of users (or several thousands) that regularly log on to the forums, and many of us are daily visitors.

That kind of suggests that most people get Roon working and do not return for several months or until they have another issue.
Roon is complex and it’s networking demands can be quite heavy especially for those on WiFi and many of the queries are of that nature. It can and does work over WiFi with the right equipment, but can also fail if traffic is heavy or if the Core is not connected through Ethernet.

Is Roon perfect? No
is it great when working nicely? Absolutely fantastic

There are people who have joined and left Roon without ever having the great experience, and you may be one of those people.

3 Likes

That was a great response Mike.

It’s always great when we can be civil with the “other side”.

So I’m hardwired, own 2 asus Rt-Ax92u which are wifi routers. My internet speed is 120. I have a roon rock Nuc10i7 with 500 GB of SSD and 16 gb of RAM. About 13000 songs. 330 gb worth.

I have lumin t2, melco n1a and bluesound vault 2i as zones. All hardwired.

I bought lifetime.

I’m at the point where I want to start a thread to tell me what to buy to make Roon a stable music solution. And I’ll do it.

I’ve already spend too much, what’s another thousand dollars anyways

You are all hardwired and still have issues?
Dropouts?
I get your frustration if you have it all hardwired and still you have issues.

It’s rare to hear from someone that is all hardwired that has issues.
There is no one thing to buy that fixes Roon sadly, unless you want to pay an installer to look after it all.

But why would you own 2 Asus routers, surely only one router and an AP, or am I misunderstanding or are you running is a Mesh? If you want to start a different thread that does not get hijacked I can try and help you through. You can send me a direct message if you want to.

I never want to diminish anyone’s experience with Roon as I know from talking to @Womaz getting a good signal to his upstairs to make Roon work was a challenge, and in the end a BT wifi extender did the trick. But there was a lot of pain getting there for Steve.
Roon can be a painful experience for some, but when you get it working it is a thing of beauty and well worth the effort.

First things first is to get a local stable setup working and then expanding it from there.
It’s to try and understand what doesn’t work and does work and how to get from the first to the latter, in the area of your house that you need it to be in.

5 Likes

Yes the second is an access point to get internet to my basement.

Thanks very much for your offer. I might take you up on in it one day.

1 Like

Yeah everything is wired.

My internet works fine for everything else around my home…it’s just Roon that has issues…

It’s all good.

Start a thread if you do. I’m sure others would help.
I’m curious as to why myself if hard wired.

1 Like

As Paul said there will be interest in helping you out with this. The community likes a challenge like yours and trying to track down what the underlying issues

2 Likes

I read somewhere that there’s a great discord for Roon. But I think you need to be invited. I personally haven’t poked at discord.

In an old thread I found this invitation which seems still to work:

2 Likes

The Discord server is more chat room than great help desk resource.
Though there are plenty of channels available there, generally we just chat music, Roon and everything in between

1 Like