Expert Pro is finally Roon Ready

So, funny thing. Six months later I added some subwoofers, made some other changes to my Dev220 and rebooted with a new install. Suddenly, no Roon RAAT again. Knew there was a solution but didn’t remember where it was. Hours later of web surfing came across your solution and, of course, it worked again. Sigh. Guess I’ll be back here in another six months…

Thanks again, Heine_Streicher for a classic solution!

Only a pleasure. :grinning:
Took me some time to figure that issue out so the solution it is burned into my brain.

I still think it is probably particular network devices. I was laying new carpets so was able to run new cables under the floorboards and down from my office where my modem resides. I now have a very simple direct wired signal path, no switches or routers, most of it fibre optic and cheap Blue Jeans ethernet cables.

My Roon is on an Innuos that connects directly to Devialet via an ethernet cable. When used this way the wireless indicator on the Devialet goes off. If I remove that cable (with arrow) the signal loops round via the Asus router and goes to the Devialet wirelessly, and the wireless indicator comes on.

Both routes are gigabit and I’ve not had a dropout as long as I can remember.

I think the most frustrating aspect of this problem is that some are experiencing it while others are not. I’ve tried everything I can think of … sadly the problem continues but only with my Devialet. I’ve got several other Roon Ready endpoints that all work fine at gigabit speed. At fast ethernet (100mbps) speed, the Devialet continues to work fine so I’m not as annoyed as I would be otherwise. Every few months I do log a new ticket with Devialet. Eventually they get around to responding & acknowledge the issue, but no progress toward a solution. Then they close the ticket.

1 Like

On my firewall I had a few multicast and broadcast pakets, I did now a filter which all packets from devi and rock server to 224.0.0.0/8 239.0.0.0/8 and broadcast drop away. Switched the devialet back to 1gb and currently I do not have any issue. I‘ll test some more days and give then another feedback.

1 Like

Hi all,

So after being sick of the first second of songs being skipped, sudden fallouts of sound for about 5 seconds and some trouble streaming Qobuz files I have decided to add a 10/100 Mbps switch (TP-Link TL-SF1005P). My setup is as follows:

NUC ROCK connected to a router with a 1000mb output, which is connected with CAT6A cable to the switch, connected with another CAT6A cable to the Devialet 140 Expert Pro.

I didn’t try streaming Qobuz files yet with the switch installed, but when playing local files the first second of a song is still being skipped and I also encountered a few seconds of no music during a song. I thought the switch would end this. Am I missing something? Hope anyone can chime in!

Regards,
Martijn

I’ve been using wifi, as I was sure that was immune, but recently it’s been skipping too. So, my last change was to go back to using Roon/Devialet Air instead of Roon RAAT. No skips yet…

I recently changed from 100BaseT to Gig on my 250 CI. No skipping with AIR and none of the problems that have been reported when I switched to RAAT (so far…). Roon core is also connected to a Gig port. Even when Processing speed in Signal Path is approaching 2 (DSD -> PCM) I have glitch-free playback with RAAT. I never tried wifi. Strange and difficult to explain these differences as I assume the CI board is identical for all models.

Fascinating… I’ve not had any problems using AIR at gigabit network speed, but have never been able to use RAAT effectively EXCEPT at 10/100 Mbps (440 Pro). I’ve had my network fully tested and it checks out fine. No idea why it works well for a few but not for others. I continue to submit tickets to Devialet on this every couple months but to no avail.

1 Like

I think Roon should revoke the “Roon Ready” status until this is fixed, because it clearly isn’t “Roon Ready” if so many are having issues with no hint of resolve in sight.

3 Likes

I agree. There is no outward sign off progress to fix, it appears to have just been left broken. Unless roon are confident Devialet are working on it frantically, and a fix is near it should be dropped back to beta status.

3 Likes

Why bothering with a non-functional RAAT/Devialet implementation? I had a Roon Bridge with a USBridge Signature installed and it‘s now RAAT all the way into my Devialet!

Because its supposed to work - it’s an advertised feature - and its probably driving purchasing decisions. The reality is, it’s a recipe for frustration.

Right! So show them a simple solution how it is supposed to work. And if they fail to get it to work, you have an alternative.

I realise that others have problems and I empathise but as a contrast I have devialet pro 140, home plugs and Ethernet and it has never missed a beat.

I only have a Expert 120, and I was about to upgrade to a 220 Expert Pro to have RAAT implemented. After reading all those responses of non functional RAAT, I postponed the upgrade and went the USBridge Signature Route. Great, fantastic sound and running Ropieee, Rock stable!
Need to do some more thinking concerning the upgrade.

Did you try Roon’s AIR to your amp (ethernet)? The USB may well be the better of the two, but I am curious…

When I had problems with Devialet AIR (before Roon integrated AIR into their product), I bought a Sonore microRendu to serve as my Roon endpoint with USB into my Devialet. It worked well, but IMHO, didn’t sound quite as good as ethernet directly via AIR (when it worked).

So, yes, Roon RAAT should just work and for that reason alone Devialet should fix it. But like AIR, IMHO Roon RAAT sounds better than using a USB input. To my ears, I don’t hear a difference between RAAT and AIR, but I do occasionally sync endpoints and cannot do that with AIR.

My guess is that Roon doesn’t really have any leverage to compel Devialet to fix this, but Roon should somehow make it clear that Devialet’s RAAT implementation has issues.

1 Like

I absolutely do agree that Roon should finally act upon this and withdraw Devialet the Roon Ready status. Maybe this is a way to get Devialet back to work.
In the end a very annoying situation for customers over such a long time.
@danny any updates?

2 Likes

I used to run Roon with via Ethernet with its built in AIR protocol to my Devialet. Worked like a charm. But after installing Catalina on my Mac Mini, it did not work anymore. Whatever I tried, no way I could get it to work.
I was also experimenting a bit with the Raspberry Pi. After seeing how easy it is with Ropieee, I decided to get the new USBridge Sig with the Shanti LPS. The combo is VERY good! Whether it is better than Roon Air, I can‘t say, my memory cannot say.