Export Playlist - rsync export rather than dumb export please

Enjoying 1.3 but cannot help to get frustrated when I come to export my playlists to my dap or car stick and I find that Roon re-exports every song again on a new export.

I’d hoped that Roon would either first check for duplicates and not re-export them (duplicates check is on) or have some sort of rsync export where only the changes are exported.

So I can add an album and not have to re-export 1650 track again :frowning:

Thanks in advance

Can you be more specific about exactly what you’re doing? In particular:

1: Are you always exporting to the same folder?
2: Do you do anything else to manipulate the files in that folder outside of Roon?

We did a fair amount of work in 1.3 to make sure that export still works basically like an rsync copy instead of a dumb copy all files thing. It does need to load up each track and check a signature against the one we exported to make sure that nothing has changed, but it shouldn’t copy any files that it doesn’t need to. I would expect it to show a total of 1650 tracks to be exported, but to skip through the list very quickly as it discovers that all the files are already present and have the correct tags.

There’s also code to make sure that you only ever get one copy of each track in your export folder even as album/track metadata changes.

Hi there

1. Yes I am always exporting to the music folder of my dap, which presents itself as an external drive to my mac.

2. No, The dap reads the files into its db but doesn’t modify the files.

More specifics, I have created a playlist with 1650 tracks in it, made up of albums.

I select the playlist (not each file) and export to the same folder each time.

With duplicates selected it re-exports the same files with no difference in speed. Takes quite some time and cause the mac’s fan to come on.

The Music folder is not ejected between exports.

That is not the behavior I expected, I’d like to try to figure out what’s going wrong.

Can you zip up everything in your log folder and upload it somewhere for me? The logs are in your database folder, and if you don’t have a convenient place to upload let me know and I can PM you with some upload instructions.

@ben See attached Logs

Exported again and its now at 851 of 1626 and been going for 20 minutes or so, so its definitely not skipping if duplicated.

Hi mannp,

I made a mistake and asked for the wrong thing. The logs that show the export details are actually on the remote side, not on the core. Can I get the log folder from your Mac?

Thanks!

@ben Mac Logs :slight_smile:

@ben did my logs turn out of use?

I got them, and you’re clearly correct that it’s copying everything for no good reason. The way it works now is, we save a special file that lists out everything we’ve exported, and if the file-to-be-exported is in that list, and there is a file at the correct path, then don’t copy. In retrospect this seems kinda silly, I’m going to check for the file anyway, it might be better to ignore the list for this step and just check that there is a file in the correct place with the correct tags etc.

I think I’ll get to this eventually, not sure how soon. The current behavior seems wasteful to me, just need to make sure I don’t break anything while fixing it.

1 Like

OK thanks for the update :slight_smile:

Doesn’t that file in a list mean the user could delete files and you wouldn’t re-copy that file as its in the list.

Seems the file actually being in the right place with the same file size or something would be a better check as you say.

We do check that the file is in place and not deleted, we’ll re-copy if it’s not there. What we don’t currently check for is a file that is in the correct place but has been somehow modified.

Either way, checking for the actual file seems like a better idea :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @ben I’ve been watching the 2 recent updates with no mention of export bug fixes, so I was wondering when this one might get fixed please?

Thank in advance

I don’t think I can say when it will be fixed beyond “someday”. I do have a ticket for it, so it won’t be forgotten, but I wouldn’t expect it particularly soon.

It surprises me that original functionality, before 1.3, which is materially broken, doesn’t get more attention.

Exporting to daps, phones, cars, etc all tedious due to playlists getting fully exported each time, 1000 albums get exported when adding 1 new album :frowning:

2 posts were split to a new topic: Export: Clean Up Duplicates not working

After reading about Exporting Playlists, I understood it would export all the tracks (copy them) AND also deliver an M3U formatted list. When I export all I get are the full track copies. While that is a nice feature, so is the M3U list. The M3U list - as you know - allows me to duplicate the Playlist on a different music server that sources files from the same folders. Does this make sense? Please advise why I am not getting the M3U file which I can then import into another music server.

I appreciate the help.