External hard drive connected to Roon Nucleus + powers up then shuts down

Roon Server Machine

Roon Nucleus Plus

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected to Deco Mesh Router via ethernet cable

Connected Audio Devices

Seagate 4TB external hard drive (not solid state) connected to Roon Nucleus + via USB

Number of Tracks in Library

Over 2TB of music (not sure of the # of tracks)

Description of Issue

When I try to connect to Roon from my Mac or iPad I get a “waiting for your Roon Server…” message.

My external hard drive is connected to my Nucleus + and will power on but then shuts down. I have used this set up for several years. I suspect my external hard drive is failing. Since I can’t connect at all to my Roon I need help on how to move my files to a new external hard drive and get it configured correctly. I also have Tidal attached to my Roon.

I hope this is enough information.
Thanks.
Joe

Maybe your external HDD needs an external power supply.

1 Like

Thanks! It hasn’t needed one over the last few years and it’s portable so I’m not sure how it could connect to a power source.

Some USB hard disks come with a Y connector so that you can connected them to two USB ports of a computer. Both USB connections will then supply power, but only one is used for data.

Something like this…

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-External-Enclosure-Housing-Adapter/dp/B076WQHK2G/ref=sr_1_5?crid=U4T7I7UXT34J&keywords=powered+usb+hdd+enclosure&qid=1706988538&sprefix=powered+usb+hdd%2Caps%2C152&sr=8-5

Is this still the case when the external HDD is disconnected from the Nucleus?

If so the problem lies with Nucleus, rather than the drive.
First see if the Nucleus is on the network, see connected device page on your router.

If it’s not found to diagnose further I’d recommend connecting a HDMI screen to the Nucleus to see what is says.

Yes, I still get “waiting for your Roon Server” message when the external HDD is disconnected from the Nucleus.
I see Nucleus Plus in my list of Online clients on my Router app.

When I connect an HDMI screen to the Nucleus I don’t see anything. I’ve never done this before. I tried both the HDMI A and B ports on the Nucleus. Same result, nothing on the screen.

Thanks.

Still getting the message “waiting for your Roon Server” can anyone offer any help? I am not sure what to do next.

Thanks!!!

Hey @Joe_Hill,

Thank you for all the details so far, as well as your patience!

This indicates you’re likely experiencing hardware issues on the Nucleus. I will follow up via private message with next steps. Please keep an eye out for a message form me. :pray:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.