External USB Drive Connected to Router

@support
I’ve connected a hard drive containing my music library to my router, a Netgear Nighthawk XB AC5300. The drive is not an NAS but rather a 10Tb external USB.

I’ve set it up in Roon and Roon can see it and has imported over 80,000 tracks.

When I try to play to an endpoint other than System Output, (Bluesound Node 2i, Bluesound Pulse 2i, iPhone) I’ll get a snatch of music here and there but mostly nothing.

Does an external USB drive need to be connected to the computer with the Roon core or should this current configuration work?

The Roon core is running on a late 2009 Macbook Pro.

@Harry_Teel Firstly a 2009 MacBook Pro is under min spec for Roon. But that could be the least of your issues.

What is your network connectivity like … If I assume Wifi from the Core on the MBP to the router and wifi to the BS etc then you are going to struggle with bandwidth for sure.

Try the HDD connected to the MBP and that might reduce one of the bottlenecks.

But seriously you are running well below recommended on the MBP too.

Moved to Support threads

Hi @Harry_Teel,

Thanks for contacting us regarding this issue, I believe your USB port on the Router may be the limiting factor here. Can you please try to move a few files over to your core machine and play them that way to see if it works as expected?

Also, just so you know, we do not recommend having WiFi between Core and Storage location, as mentioned in our Networking Best Practices Guide.

Thanks,
Noris