Facebook’s ?fbcld= parameter breaks kb.roonlabs.com links

At around the time Build 536 came out, this issue with Roon’s knowledgebase returned:

So, in the Roon Enthusiast Group on Facebook, when we’re trying to educate new members about various features of Roon, the kb.roonlabs.com links that we share are now all broken. All they see is “This article has not been written yet.” This is a frustrating experience for them and for us.

Please see my link above to the previous issue for context. I’m hoping that you can fix this again and find a way to keep it from breaking in the future. Thanks.

– David

Thanks for the report, @David_Snyder — I’ve passed this along to the team.

1 Like

@dylan - we are still having this problem. Please ask the team to have another look. Thanks.

@dylan Any progress on this? Tough to refer people to kb.roonlabs.com when links don’t work.

This seems to be an issue when clicking a link via desktop/web vs FB app(at least on iOS).

Hi @David_Snyder & @CurtisC,

This is something I’ve discussed with the team and we hope to have a more permanent solution to this in the near future — We’ll be sure to keep you updated.

1 Like

Hi @dylan,
Any update on this?

It appears this is an issue again, with the “fbclid” taking us to the “This article has not been written yet” page. Thanks for looking in to this again.

1 Like

The KB/fbclid error is back. Can someone please look in to this? It’s really useful to be able to post KB links in Facebook groups. Thanks very much.

Example:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/What_is_Roon%3F?fbclid=IwAR0t71fDvfrc1zpDcfXZWa1n-AxUp2C6jikHdMUsmAJuytmIHx4ajhvZGXE

The KB/fbclid error is back. Can someone please look in to this? It’s really useful to be able to post KB links in Facebook groups. Thanks very much.

Example:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/What_is_Roon%3F?fbclid=IwAR0t71fDvfrc1zpDcfXZWa1n-AxUp2C6jikHdMUsmAJuytmIHx4ajhvZGXE

1 Like

Thanks for pinging us on on this, Neil. We still have some plans for a permanent solution to this, but they were delayed a bit. We are confident that this will be resolved soon, though! Apologies for the continued troubles.

2 Likes

Appreciate it very much Dylan. I started a new “Roon Users” group on Facebook, hoping to give more accurate and concise answers than other Facebook groups. Not being able to post KB articles is difficult. We’re often referring to your configuration settings so we stay in line with your approach. In one week we have nearly 800 members, and growing.

Any help you can give us will help tremendously.

2 Likes

Dylan, any progress on fixing the “fbclid” issue for web browsers? Mobile (iPhone) works fine with Facebook, but we need the popular browsers to work too. Thanks very much.

2 Likes

As a regular user of a few Roon FB groups I find this very frustrating. They are an excellent way to spread the use of Roon and dead links never look good to people thinking of trying this superb service.

3 Likes

I am also wondering about a solution to this. It seems to be the only site that I use that has an issue with referrals from FB.
The Roon KB is an excellent resource and I often refer people to it from FB.

1 Like

Dylan, is there any solution to this in the works? The KB is such a useful resource for all Roon subscribers, it’s a shame desktop users can’t use the Facebook links 'cause you’re not ignoring the “fbclid”. Looking forward to a resolution soon.

2 Likes

Same here. I wonder if Roon is working on a solution to this. The Roon KB is an excellent resource.

2 Likes

Hey all, you may have noticed we recently overhauled roonlabs.com with a new look and feel. As part of that transition, we also quietly launched a new Help Center, which will soon become the permanent home for a lot of wonderful learning material.

It’s still early days and we need to clean up some things here and there, but all of the content from kb.roonlabs.com has been migrated, and you should be able to use help.roonlabs.com links on Facebook without any trouble.

Don’t hesitate to let us know what you think! You can also use the form linked at the top of the Help Center to report any errors.

1 Like

Really unfortunate that the (literally) hundreds of kb.roonlabs.com links that we’ve shared on Facebook and in other places over the years will all be (even more) broken. But, congrats on the migration. All in the name of progress.

1 Like

If you were to decide to keep kb.roonlabs.com around, you could use this nginx proxy filter to remove the fbclid parameter. I wonder if there’s a way to create a table of redirects to send kb.roonlabs.com links to help.roonlabs.com?

1 Like

This is what we’re looking to do – There are loads of kb.roonlabs.com links that have been shared all across the web, indexed by search engines, etc. that we definitely don’t want to break!

2 Likes