Failed Database Updates

Alfred:

I thought Client was the only requirement and that Server opened your PC to more security risks. But, yes, I have tried it in the past and no luck. But I will try it again. Thanks.

I don’t know if I am right, but probably you have to select both checkboxes: the “SMB 1.0/CIFS client” box as well as the “SMB 1.0/CIFS server” box…

Noris:

The drive the Network DB Backup share/folder is on is a 2Gb Toshiba DT01ACA200 HDD. All other shares seem to work fine between all the other PCs in the LAN. I am able to create a DB backup folder in the \\ROCK\Data\Storage folder of my Roon ROCK, but I would think that would already be a given.

I have no idea if this is the problem, but does Roon still use the obsolete SMB1 Protocol as opposed to SMB2, and, if so, why? Please see my post a couple back regarding what I have tried with the SMB settings/implementations - my SMB1 settings seem correct as far as I can determine, but the PowerShell does indicate a “false” for “Enable SMB1 Protocol”, despite SMB1 Client being selected in the Control Panel.

I have tried the Roon App deletion and reinstall on my PC, but it didn’t change anything, so I want to do it the way you suggest with generating a new “Roon” folder in the Database, but have some questions. When you speak of making a backup/copy, are you speaking of the entire Data folder/directory in the ROCK? Data includes the Storage folder which has all my music files in it. There are six main folders in the Data directory by the names of Machine Settings, RAAT Server, Roon Goer, Roon OS, Roon Server, & Storage. At least three of those six folders have a subfolder named Database. There is no main folder in the Data directory named simply “Roon” (the one you are asking me to rename to Roon.old) - where is that specific folder located? And, is it really necessary to make a backup/copy of the entire Data directory and its folders including Storage? Sorry :frowning: for all my specific questions, just don’t want to mess-up my Roon install.

Hi @da_Choge,

My suggestion was for reinstalling Roon Remote app, not the entire Roon database on the ROCK. Please do not rename this aspect for now, just the Roon folder on the Windows PC that you use to access ROCK.

I would imagine that SMBv1 is needed for legacy purposes, and as far as I know, we don’t have plans to move to SMBv2 at this time:

Let’s start with some screenshots to hopefully help clarify things a bit. You mentioned that this drive is attached to your personal PC. If you right-click the drive -> Properties -> Sharing can you share a screenshot of what you see? You can upload screenshots by using these instructions.

Noris:

This is a screenshot of my Sharing Properties for the H Drive on my PC:

This is a screenshot of the Advanced Sharing Properties for the H Drive:
This is a screenshot of my Home Network (some of the network PCs, etc, aren’t presently powered ON, but the ROCK and my personal PC are always on):

If you expand the screenshot [at the bottom of Network], you’ll see that the ROCK is a part of the Network.

This is a screenshot of the NetworkShares on my Personal PC (JNKHomeBusiness):

I have tried setting up the Roon backup on the H Drive with network user/password protection enabled and with network user/password protection globally switched off and either way Roon fails to establish a Network Share.

Hi @da_Choge,

Thanks for letting me know that information. I have a test I’d like to suggest here:

Can you try inputting \\Jnkhomebusiness.local\h as the Network Path in Roon and let me know if that works? Have you tried with and without the Workgoup as part of the share location yet? I would also try this if you haven’t.

Yes; interesting - I’ll try that. Also, I edited my post, probably after you answered, mainly to allow you to see that the ROCK is part of the network.

1 Like

Noris:

I tried it both with the WORKGROUP entered as my Workgroup and not, and also both with Network user/password protection enabled and not and this is what I always get:
RoonNetworkShareFailure

I know you’ve been really hanging in there with me on this, and I appreciate it.
Somehow I think this all links back to when I transferred the Roon Core from my personal PC to the ROCK. I may just decide to be OK with the DropBox Backup of the Database, or use a third party backup program to backup the Database, if you don’t have any further info as to what might be wrong. What is the specific folder in Roon that holds the actual Database for backing up; is it the ROCK//Data/RoonServer/Database folder?

Hi @da_Choge,

Yes, the actual database is the entire /RoonServer folder. In theory, you should be able backup the entire /RoonServer folder by copying it somewhere safe, but do make sure that you stop RoonServer from running via the Web UI beforehand. The best way to ensure stable backups are still through Roon’s own backup manager, so copying the /RoonServer folder is just an additional fail-safe in my opinion and not a permanent solution.

Did you give the .local suggestion I mentioned a try? I wonder if this can be resolved in the following way:

Yes, tried that and all variations of that; with/without password protection, with WORKPLACE entered and not – still no go.

Thanks for confirming that @da_Choge. The only other suggestion I have is that you re-check the firewall on the \\jnkhomebusiness\ PC. You can use these instructions to do so, and I would re-add Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe to the Windows Firewall and any other application firewalls which you may have. Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe can be found by following the Database Location/Application folder.

The only way I have gotten ROCK to backup to a Windows 10 Share is…

1. Create a folder for the backup
  2. Right Click, Properties, Share. Add Everyone with read/write permissions
  3. In Rock
    3a. Network Share Locations: network%20path
    3b. Include Workgroup (or whatever workgroup name you have used)
    3c. Include your Username and Password that you use on the PC you are backing up to and the account should have rights to access the file location.

Without everything above, it will fail for me with the message you’ve been getting.

Thanks, but I’ve done exactly that (and every variation of that with firewalls down, etc, etc) many many times and it always fails. Interestingly enough, I had it working doing just those steps three weeks prior (and for at least 6+ months prior to that) when it spontaneously stopped backing up. When I tried to restart the backup, couldn’t get it going and haven’t been able to since. My firewall allows both Roon.exe and RaatServer.exe, although I had to allow them through again after a recent Windows update. So I’m pretty much giving up and settling on just the Dropbox backup. However, I am creating a NUC “Roon Optimized Endpoint” for Multichannel file play via HDMI. The SSD I will have on it is way bigger than needed for the OS (a ROCK install, but not as the Core), so once it’s in service, I think I’ll backup to that and hopefully not encounter any problems.

Following the simple instructions @Rugby has given is what works usually. Based on your screenshots you haven’t done so.

What I would try to do now if I were you:

1. Removing the share from the H:-drive
  2. Restart the PC
  3. Recreate the original permission of the H:-drive
    3.1 Open an elevated command prompt aka “Command Promt (Admin)”
    3.2 Type icacls H: /reset and press enter
    3.3 Restart PC again
  4. Following the instructions given by @Rugby by creating a folder in the H:-drive and then sharing that folder

Yes, I think that’s the key to the situation: in Windows, I don’t think you can share a drive over the network, you need to create a folder on the drive and share the folder over the network…

Unless I’ve misunderstood, which is entirely possible :astonished:, it doesn’t matter if you are not using ROCK as a core; because, by installing Rock, it will use the entire drive for itself. You will not be able to backup to it, or store music on it.

Have you thought about getting a nice small external USB drive to use as a backup drive. I have a couple of 256 and 512 GB SSDs lying around, so I recently purchased a USB 3.0 enclosure, popped one in and now use it as a little backup drive.

Hi @da_Choge,

This is correct, you should not be performing backups to the same drive that the ROCK database is on. If possible, I would just use a 64GB or above USB thumb drive, plug it directly into one of the ROCK’s USB ports and use it as the backup destination.

Yes, that’s a definite possibility and I imagine that’s how most backup their Roon database - so, in the end, that’s what I may end-up doing. Thanks.

I established a database backup folder in the 2.5" SSD that my storage is in (just to see if it could be done). The Roon core is actually on a separate M.2 Drive (in the ROCK). This Database Backup folder, RoonDBBackup, is not on the M.2 but is on this internal 2.5" SSD which holds my music files in a separate folder, Internal Storage. Would this not be allowed to actually function as a backup location? As you can see, Roon allows me to establish a backup there. Here’s a screenshot:

Of course, this is not what I want to do, but couldn’t I do the same thing with my NUC “Roon Optimized Endpoint” – which will be a separate ROCK NUC (not the Core) when I get that online?

BTW, I completely reformatted my H_Drive (my Backup Drive in my PC), did not share the drive, but established a shared folder as a Network Share in the same H_Drive, and still could not get Roon to accept it (the shared folder) as a Network Share to be my database backup folder. As I said previously, I think something happened when I transferred the Core from my PC to the ROCK six+ months ago (as far as permissions?) that I don’t understand and that is preventing me from establishing a Network Share that Roon recognizes - I don’t know if that is possible, but it’s the only thing I can come up with. I’m thinking that a re-installation of the Roon Server Core on my primary ROCK NUC would solve the whole thing - but I definitely DON’T want to do that. As it stands now, an attached external USB drive or a folder (like the “dummy” one I set up in the ROCK that holds the Core) in the new NUC (if that’s permissible?) seems to be my best bet.

Aside from confirming whether I could possibly setup a backup folder in the new non-core NUC like illustrated above, I think I’ve taken way too much of everyone’s time and attention on this issue, and will go with one of the options that I can get to work. I really appreciate all the input and help that has been offered.

• john
1 Like