Fairly new to Roon- Have I got it right?

Hi all,

I’m fairly new into Roon, and have a pretty nice 2ch system. (I think :blush: )
I just would like to ask you guys if I have done it all right and are there any steps that I can take to further enhance the sound reproduction some easy way. (change something, connect it differently perhaps)

It works very nice, no dropouts or anything.

But one always wonder what would other more experienced guys do here.

Some questions:

1. Roon always only work over Ethernet or Wi-Fi right? So it’s not possible to use USB any more with Roon?
    I tried to connect a USB cable from the Innuos (core) streaming outlet to the amp, then choose USB as in source on the amp, and when pressing play on the controller the amp automatically changed in-source to Ethernet and displayed Roon. I then removed the Ethernet cable between the Innuos and amp but then it stops. So the music comes over Ethernet and not the USB?

2. Will a different Roon core connected some other way provide better sonical results?
    Not having the core computer (innuos) connected directly to the endpoint amp and DAC like it is now.
    A DDC between? An hi-end Ethernet switch between the core and endpoint?
    What would you do?

Best Regards: Kris

System:
Roon core- Innuos Zen mk3 server (set as pure core)
Roon controller- Ipad 2020
Roon ready endpoint- Devialet Expert 1000Pro
Speakers- B&W 803D4 walnut

So now I have connected like this:
AQ Ethernet cable from router to Innuos- (Roon core)
AQ Ethernet cable from Innuos to Devialet master
AQ Carbon coax 0.75m digital sync to Devialet companion
Ipad over Wi-Fi to network.

This is not correct. Roon will work over all three. You probably need to enable the USB connection in your Innous Core (Roon’s Settings > Audio) and set it up as an additional Endpoint. Then you would have the ability to choose which Endpoint/Zone you wished to use.

1 Like

Thank’s Geoff :+1:

One of the best features of Roon is that one can stream music to multiple locations via Ethernet or WiFi. For example I now have over ten different locations (endpoints or zones) throughout my house to which I can play any music available on my Roon library.

In fact, your iPad and mobile phone can each act as a Roon endpoint and you can stream music to the device to listen to using headphones, etc. Just go to Setting → Audio and enable the device.

Many Roon users have some type audio system set up in their bedrooms, either a stereo and/or headphone system. Now that you’re using Roon in your main audio system, get used to using Roon and then slowly explore some of the things that really make Roon shine.

And remember, if you have any questions or need some help and tips on how best to proceed, just ask here on the Roon Community.

1 Like

Theoretically, no. Roon just moves bits to your music system (your Devialet). Theoretically, it doesn’t matter how they get there, or what kind of Core system you’re using (as long as it’s fast enough).

1 Like

Many thanks Jazzfan :grinning: :+1:

Thanks Bill! What’s your opinion about “isolating” the DAC/amp from the Roon core by some means?
I guess that people do it because of potential disturbance/interference from the router/network or the computer or that a Roon core really is. So no computer directly before the DAC path.
I have read about placing a DDC like the ones from Denafrips between the core and the DAC or a ethernet OCXO reclocker with very quiet circuits and power supplies.

Br:Kris

My Roon Core used to have a USB sound card attached to it. And I’ve never run into troubles or noticed a difference in sound quality.

Nowadays my Core, which is a Lenovo laptop running on Linux, doesn’t act as an endpoint anymore. And just acts as Core only.

I have several endpoints. My brand new Cambridge Audio CXNv2 streamer in the living room. My iFi Zen DAC V2 hooked up to my MacBook Pro. And 2 Harman Kardon speakers in the bedroom and kitchen. The latter two connect through AirPlay. I also have a WiiM Mini lying around, that my Cambridge replaced. I’m using my MacBook Pro, my iPhone or my old Android phone as remotes.

I did end up connecting my Core and my Cambridge through Ethernet to my router. As I did have dropouts using WiFi. Now the music plays all day without issues.

Roon itself is a real nice piece of software once you get to know it.

Happy listening :+1:

1 Like

Thank you for your input :grinning: :+1:
Sounds lovely to have all of those music possibilities around the home.
Have a good day!

1 Like

Personally, I think it’s a scam, unless you’re actually seeing problems. There’s no technical reason a well-made modern DAC/amp needs additional isolation.

3 Likes

All Roon Cores should sound the same. When it comes to connections, Wifi and Ethernet should sound the same, the difference is down to Wifi can have stability issues leading to drop outs, which is why Ethernet is preferred.

As for using a direct USB connection vs a network connection, USB connection can potentially cause issues, but, how much and if you actually hear it is all dependent. How well is your DAC setup to filter USB, etc etc.

I prefer to separate my Core (kept in the basement) and any listening areas and by extension any DACs. You could have DACs setup with a streamer in front as well as DACs which can just accept the network input directly. The later is more direct and less boxes.

3 Likes

I think many of us isolate our DACs from the Core not for any perceived improvement in sound quality but simply to avoid having a PC in our listening rooms.
So yes, to reduce noise but in this case physical noise from the PC itself ie. the fan.

You mentioned DDCs. I use one but atypically.
The USB input of the DAC in my studio is occupied by pro audio gear.
Sometimes I just want to listen to music from Roon so the DAC is also connected via SPDIF to a DDC which is connected to a Streamer that only has USB out.
I could, of course, just unplug the USB cable and move it to the Streamer but a) I’m lazy and b) I wonder about wear and tear on the USB input. :sweat_smile:
But to your point: I’ve experimented with the DDC in other systems and haven’t noticed an improvement in sound quality.
That said, most reviews I’ve seen for DDCs suggest the improvement occurs mainly when using them to utilize the I2S input on DACs, something mine don’t have.

1 Like

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I guess that my Innuos server can be seen as not the typical noisy computer Roon core.
It has no fans and is constructed with sound quality in mind throughout. So maybe it’s not that important in my case then, to have it in another room.
My Devialets does not have an I2S either, so perhaps the DDC cost is better placed somewhere else then.
Thinking about the Innuos Phoenix NET, connecting it after the router and connecting the Innuos server and Devialet amps to the “filtered” and reclocked outputs.

1 Like

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for your reply and information. Much appreciated!

I now have a Ethernet cable directly from the Innuos streaming outlet (Roon core) into the Devialet master unit DAC so I guess it’s pretty much network direct input!?