Family Member Credentials?

Roon Core Machine

ROCK, NUC8i7BEH, Crucial 8GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/S, Transcend 128GB Nvme PCIe Gen3 X4 MTE110S M.2 SSD Solid State Drive

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet to NUC: Google WiFi, TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Switch, Synology DS920+

Connected Audio Devices

MacBook Pro, iPhone 12, Chord Mojo2/Poly, Chromecast Audio

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I suspect that this is a simple question (which are sometimes the hardest to solve). After weeks of me talking about the ease of Roon ARC, my wife, who has been reluctant to use Roon, has agreed to give it a go.

She downloaded the app and installed it on her iPhone. The app asks for her credentials and I am unable to find it within the Roon app on my desktop. I thought it would be under Profiles => Edit, but nothing there but name, birthdate, and links to lastfm and twitter.

Where can I change (maybe create??) user credentials so my wife can begin to enjoy ARC as much as I do?

Thereā€™s only one set of credentials, regardless of profiles.

The credentials being asked for are the credentials of your Roon accountā€¦

Your wife can have her own profileā€¦

Understood. But how can she login to ARC when it asks for her email and password. Where would I create that? I created a user profile for my wife, but there is no place to add her email and password.

I followed the step here:

Itā€™s YOUR email and password that she needs to enter - because these are the Roon Credentials for your Roon Accountā€¦

Once logged in, she can use her own profileā€¦

I thought about that, but it doesnā€™t seem appropriate from a general security perspective.

Appropriate or not - thatā€™s the current model. A Roon license is associated with a single email address. There is currently no concept of a ā€œfamily accountā€ - although it has been requested (look in the #feedback:feature-suggestions category and vote for it if you wish).

You can have multiple profiles set up within Roon, but these are not the same as the Roon Accountā€¦

1. Roon isnā€™t about security at all. Itā€™s about ease of use. (Old story, feature suggestions already exist)
    So the best advice IMO is: Do not allow people you donā€™t trust access to your Roon installation in any way!
  2. How much harm can she possibly do in your Roon account?
    The real problem that might arise here IMO is when people reuse their password from other sites for their Roon account. You can change your password to a unique one when you login to your account and follow the directions given there (if needed).

It works. Once she logged in as me, she was able to use ARC under her profile. (Iā€™m not too worried about about the security riskā€¦) :grinning:

Thanks!

Can I suggest that in the interests of continued marital harmony that you ask her what her favourite albums are and put them in a playlist for her (under her profile or a shared one). This will ensure minimal ā€˜tech supportā€™ on your behalf going forward.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.