Fast-forwarding Roon Radio in Android App causes infinite skipping

Just to make sure that the new issues is not caused by the import of the backup from my work PC, I reset the database/settings. However, this did not make the issue go away.

As the Onkyo also supports Airplay, I switched to Airplay to see if this helps. I still have drop-outs from time to time, but Airplay seems to have no other issues. I will test this further.

I copied all mucis files to an SSD and installed it into the PrimeMini4. Roon detected the SSD, but claimed that it is not formatted. As I did not want to figure which formats are supported by Roon, I just let Roon format it and copied all files onto the SSD via the share, but this nearly took a day.

Nevertheless, I can now say that the issue is not caused by the external harddrive, which is what I expected.

As the Onkyo also supports Airplay, I tested if the issue also comes up when using Airplay. I cannot tell for sure, but Airplay seems to be more robust. While I also have drop-outs from time to time, I can skip a track or an album without getting the endless skipping issue.

My current guess is that the Chromecast implementation of the Onkyo TX-RZ 3100 is somehow not compatible with Roon.

I would like to compare the streaming via Chromecast with streaming via RAAT using a Hifiberry, but sadly, the Hifiberry is still stuck in customs.

Pitting Airplay against Chromecast, I came to the following conclusions:

• Chromecast has issues with establishing a connection (the Onkyo displays “Connecting” for half a minute before starting to play).
  • Chromecast has issues with skipping tracks and with fast-forwarding in tracks.
  • Once Chromecast starts playing and I do not interfere, it mostly works. Sometimes, there are drop-outs in the form of sound missing for half a second.
  • Airplay is much faster when establishing a connection.
  • Aiplay has no problems with skipping tracks and with fast-forwarding in tracks.
  • However, Airplay has frequent mini-drop-outs (they sound like sound bursts), rare normal drop-outs, and the sound quality seems to be slightly worse (although I only play music from ripped CDs).

The hifiberry is still stuck in customs, so I cannot test if the issues are caused by the Onkyo, by the network, or both.

Hi @Rohangis_Mohseni,

Let’s remove the Onkyo out of the equation entirely here (I know you’re waiting on the HiFiberry) and let’s just try playing to System Output of a remote — Does the same issue occur?

I will test that tomorrow with my work PC that has acceptable speakers because I cannot stand listening to music on my tablet for more than a couple of minutes.

If I find the time, I can also try streaming to my Raumfeld Stereo Cubes via Chromecast (I only use them while cooking).

Playback on the PC seems to be flawless. Reaction times are really short; I can skip tracks and fast-forward without any issues. I did not hear any drop-outs. However, due to the reduced sound quality (I am listening to the music via a cheap soundbar), I cannot tell for sure if there are micro-distortions (but I don’t think so).

I conclude that the network is not the culprit because the connection is worse:
PrimeMini4 -> Switch -> Onkyo versus
PrimeMini4 -> Switch -> Router -> WiFi Mash-Extender -> PC

But the PC uses RAAT as the protocol, so I cannot tell for sure if the Onkyo is the problem or the protocol. I will therefore do some testing with the Raumfeld Stereo Cubes because they also use Chromecast like the Onkyo.

I did not have any problems streaming from the PrimeMini4 to the other Chromcast device.

So it’s probably the Onkyo.

I will try to stream music to the Onkyo via Chromecast without using Roon to figure if it’s only the device (then it’s maybe a hardware defect) or if it’s an interaction between Roon and the device (then it’s a compatibility issue).

I tried streaming music from Google Play Music via Chromecast to the Onkyo, which did not work (it’s always stuck in the “Connecting” phase).

The Hifiberry was delivered today, and until now it works flawless.

So I can be pretty sure now that the Chromecast section of the Onkyo either has a software bug or a hardware defect. Airplay seems to work, though, but comes with drop-outs and a slightly worse quality.

However, I will continue to use Airplay until my ELAC DDP-2 is delivered (I ordered it today and will use it as a streaming DAC in connection with the Onkyo). That’s because the musical quality of the Hifiberry is absolutely gruesome. It has “Hifi” in it’s name, but it’s not high fidelity at all. The stark audible difference is probably based on the fact that the stereo DAC chip of the Onyko, an AK 4490, is already pretty good. Pro-Ject audio uses this chip in it’s DAC Box DS2 ultra, which good pretty good scores in hifi magazines.

Thanks for the updates, @Rohangis_Mohseni.

Yes, it does seem like this is limited to the Onkoy’s Chromecast implementation. I’d recommend reaching out to Onkyo support about the issues you’re seeing.

If you have any other questions for us please let us know!

Will do!

Nevertheless, thanks for helping to figure out what causes the issue.

1 Like

I don’t use Chromecast on the Onkyo anymore as I bougth an Elac Discovery Connect (for the time being until my Naim arrives).

However, I still use Chromecast on a pair of Raumfeld Stereo Cubes. Up to now, they did not show the issue BUT when I once was to impatient to wait until the Cubes properly woke up from Standy, I got the endless skipping problem.

Due to that, I think the issue in part caused by how Roon handles unresponsive Chromecast devices, and I had the issue with the Onkyo all the time because it has responsivity issues. But you can get it with other Chromecast devices in borderline situations.

That said, I will not use Chromecast with Roon anymore (and instead migrate to RAAT-supporting endpoints), but maybe it’s still interesting to know for other users that there is a potential issue with Chromecast if devices are unresponsive (for whatever reason).

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.