Feedback on iOS Hardware Requirements

The iPad Air 1 is more than 2 years old and it is supported at the moment. It is very unlikely that iOS devices will have more than 64 bit architecture given that the current Intel CPUs are 64 bit. It is generally considered that the Air 2 has great specifications.

i have the same problem!! i think will be back to apple remote with iTunes again!!

Pathetic and ignorant from developer to ignore earlier ipads. Simple remote controler should not need 64 bit arhitecture. I am discarding the idea of Roon ready environment and going Aries Mini way for Tidal with Lightning DS app. No fees and great dac included for the same sum as new Ipad.

What a shot in own leg by Roon guys.

… or Aurender N100H, havent decided yet :wink:

“Ignorant” is not the right word. We are quite aware and have made a conscious decision to not spend resources on supporting older iPads. You may not like our position on this, but it is not ignorant.

As for “Pathetic”, I assume you are arousing pity on us for the lost sales from this decision. We hate that we lose sales to potential members with only older model iPads, but in the end, we made a decision to place our resources on the future, and not focus on older hardware that is slowly being phased out of existence.

This was not an easy decision, and I’ve written about it many times here on the community site.

As for 64bit architecture needs, the problem is not actually 64bit. Note that we still ship a 32bit Windows build today.

The issue is that our graphics engine, which unifies the experience across platforms, requires a modern OpenGL ES. This engine is what allows us to built and release on multiple platforms with a team the size we currently have.

This graphics support is only available on the iPads with the 64bit CPUs.

For the price of an Aurender, you should easily be able to upgrade your iPads, buy a lifetime membership of Roon, and still save out. You will still need an audio endpoint, but those range from in price depending on your needs. A dedicated endpoint without hard drives and beefier CPUs is sure to be a better option anyway.

Can’t argue about the Aries Mini + Lightning DS configuration though. If that experience makes you happy, it’s a great option.

In case you missed it, here are the technical details of what the problems are:

5 Likes

This is a pragmatic way of proceeding and should please the largest percentage of Roon customers.

2 Likes

If you are happy with iTunes and Apple Remote, then Roon was never for you anyway. Best of luck.

3 Likes