Feedback on iOS Hardware Requirements

@Steve_Lees Ok, then exactly like Android. The IOS version, just like the Android version, seems to be only available for tablets. Like I said, a phone version would be a separate development because the interface is not built for screens the size of a phone.

Thatā€™s correct. The Roon iOS app only runs on 64-bit iPads. Thereā€™s been some suggestion that Roon might do a simplified, scaled-down version to run on iPhones, but no timetable or details.

As an example, none of the available (as of yesterday) Safari content-blockers for iOS 9 run on 32-bit iPads. So Roon is not alone in supporting only the 64-bit iPads.

Nope, it is submitted to iTunes and the Play Store as a tablet app and not a ā€œphoneā€ or ā€œuniversal appā€. Universal apps take a lot more time to develop since they have to be capable of supporting multiple devices and screen sizes. I could probably side-load the Android Roon app on my Android phone, but after seeing it on my Nexus7 (7" Tablet), Iā€™d need a stylus and a magnifying glass to use it on a screen that small.

FYI
Just for fun (?) I side-loaded the Android app onto my Galaxy Note 3 (5.7 inch screen )
After about 3 minutes of playing the phone app game ā€œPointlessā€ I uninstalled it.
Enough said :smile:

1 Like

iPhone 6 Plus support please .

+1 iPhone 6 Plus support

Hello guys

Weā€™re working on a smaller interface for phones and small tablets. This is still in the design phase so no timelines yet, but weā€™ll post more updates as soon as we can. Itā€™s coming!

2 Likes

Thanks @vova

Are you able to say anything about:

• A simple transport style control app; or
  • A RoonSpeakers app

that might run on iOS devices that are under spec for the full Roon app ?

Are those things under consideration, not currently planned, on the map, under development ?

Simple transport style is not on the list, but the phone app should allow for quick access to transport.

Roonspeakers apps are planned, once Roonspeakers is ready :smile:

1 Like

Any chance that support for the ipad mini 1 will be added. I only use the mini for basic needs and control of the audio. I want to make sure while i am in my 2 week trial to decide if i need to upgrade the ipad as well.

Maybe something basic later when/if an iPhone app is added? Donā€™t count on it.
Iā€™ve read a version for iPhone is in the making, but if itā€™s just another interface on the same platform it will probably come with the same 64bit and OpenGL3 limitations. Same iPads, and iPhone 5S and up?

Something less fancy for older devices would be nice (just some basics like mPad and iTunes Remote: commands and an artist/album list just to be able to use them?)

Hi Tom,
I havenā€™t heard of any plans to implement Roon on any non 64 bit iPad, except as a RoonSpeakers endpoint. You can still get reasonable prices for second hand iPads, so an upgrade may be less expensive than you think.

1 Like

@Tom_Hicks: @andybob is correct. There is no current plan to support older devices, and given that they will only become more scarce in the future, I doubt this will ever be a priority.

Looking forward to the iPhone app though!

Am probably going to buy an iPad Air 2, pretty much just to run a UI for Roon. Can I assume this will be compatible with future Roon apps for at least several years? Donā€™t want to buy a new tablet every 2 years just for Roon.

Iā€™m sure the iPad Air 2 will be good for the next few years, but no one will be able to put a figure on it ā€¦ just too many variables.

Dannyā€™s post above sets out the expectations regarding future obsolescence. When it happens we will have an option to stay where we are rather than upgrade hardware.

Well remembered Andy.

Thanks, overlooked that.