Feedback Thread - Roon 2.0.30 Playlist Management

Hey all – looking forward to hearing everyone’s feedback about today’s changes to playlist management!

Decided to try something different this morning and recorded a quick walkthrough of the new functionality. Let us know what you think :pray:

67 Likes

Hi Mike, I like your introduction video. It makes life easy.

Can I have the possibility to collapse the playlists. So I have just the title „playlist“ in the sidebar. When I click on the title Playlist or on a plus sign next to it, they expand.

12 Likes

If you go to “Settings → General → Show playlists in the sidebar” and disable it, you have the ability to browse the Playlist page without seeing the list. Perhaps this works for you?

8 Likes

I like the progress on GUI functions. I will comment more later when I get a chance to use this, but as a suggestion, I like the fact that you can use the sidebar to feature one area of Roon you use a lot - but as of now it’s limited to playlists.

I would love to see the ability to put bookmarks there instead, with similar management functions, or Roon Tags.

9 Likes

Placing the “Show/Exit full screen” link/button in a submenu (the three dots in this case) defies any modern, good sense, design.

Expand/Collapse is a default functionality for any tree like navigation…

Exit full screen link/button shows up twice in the side bar when “Show playlists in the sidebar” is disabled (android, windows).

4 Likes

I successfully created Playlist Folders and using my Mac moved a Playlist to the folder. Using iOS the app failed to move playlists.

1 Like

For now, it just looks like a big mess. One would expect at least at expand/collapse functionality and to mirror the folder structure you create…

6 Likes

Thanks Mike for the video. Great job team. I know Tidal has Folders also for their Playlists. Could you possibly also bring over the Playlist Folders Names (and associated Tidal Playlists within each Folder) from Tidal into Roon? Thanks! Barry

3 Likes

Successfully exported a playlist to Qobuz, great feature! I would like to be able to put Qobuz playlists into folders for better organisation. Maybe you could suggest to Qobuz that they should implement such a feature also.

3 Likes

Thanks, @mike and RoonLabs team.

You’re never going to please everybody.

But all I can say is that Roon just keeps getting better and better.

12 Likes

I just used it and it worked well with Qobuz. I may be using this more often transferring my stuff from Qobuz to Apple Music for on the go, just using Roon.

I was initially ecstatic that I could now move playlists to streaming services. I’ve now downgraded that joyfulness to “hope this can be addressed”.

I copied a playlist to Qobuz, 282 of the ~1270 tracks couldn’t be found. Ok - that’s due to the Qobuz catlogue being less complete than Tidal.

I then discovered that a number of found tracks were unavailable on Qobuz (greyed out). On doing a manual search on Qobuz for the unavailable tracks I discovered that the tracks were actually available.

I’m guess that this is due to an international rights issue? (I’m in Australia and perhaps Roon uses the Qobuz catalogue available in the US to select a track? Different ISRC?).

Might this be addressed in the future?

3 Likes

@Gordon_Smith , most of the time these errors aren’t due to the streaming service not having the album or track. It’s almost always that the track wasn’t found. If you save the list of missing tracks (Soundiiz gives us this ability), you can most always find them if you manually look them up. Not always a fun solution, but I’ve transferred hundreds of playlists from Qobuz to Tidal (and vice-versa) this way, and I rarely can’t find all the tracks.

1 Like

Loving the new stuff.

I’m moving from Qobuz to Tidal so that I can have the playlists and album selections available in my car (Tesla). [There’s a native Tidal app in the car, but no Qobuz…)

Track matching works really well - I ran it on a number of playlists using my Android phone. But that function seems not to be exposed in the Windows (Win 11) app.

Anyway to let different profiles in Roon have it’s own playlists, sort of like a filter?

2 Likes

I didn’t explain well enough. Let me try again.

• I have 1270 tracks in playlist on Roon.
  • On being copied to Qobuz only 987 tracks were listed in the Qobuz version of the copied playlist. I can understand that Qobuz doesn’t have those missing tracks in their catalogue. That’s OK.
  • Of those 987, 76 tracks were greyed out as not being available to me on Qobuz in my geographic area.
  • When I sampled some of those 76 tracks and searched for them manually I found that they were indeed present and playable on Qobuz.
  • When I’ve previously done the same transfer via Soundiiz I had the same result. Many tracks added by Soundiiz were also greyed out - but really and truly present on Qobuz when I searched for them manually.
1 Like

I don’t really use Playlists and it now somewhat dominates the sidebar , rather than just removing it ,how about leaving as a single entry expandable if you so wish (as in a Tree View) . A setting “collapse/expand” Playlist

Just a thought

9 Likes

Echoing what @Mike_O_Neill has just said, it seems a little odd to have to go into :gear: > General to turn off the listing of Playlists in the Sidebar, rather than use the caret (>) to expand/collapse the list as would normally be expected in UI design.

Is this because of a limitation in what can be done with Roon’s UI functions?

PS: great video - would be nice to see more examples of this, and in the KB as well.

21 Likes

I added all songs in a playlist to a Qobuz playlist, and it works like you say. However I got a message “14 tracks couln’t be synced”, is there any way of seing which ones they were?

1 Like

Nice video Mike it helped explain the functionality. I collect but don’t really listen to playlists, which is strange to me.

The new folder structure is great for that as I have now created a couple of folders for the Roon generated playlists and daily Mix playlists for when I do want to browse.