Ffmpeg changing from .exe to document

Roon Core Machine

Hi all, Things have all been stable since I received so much help from all of you. The last issue (fingers crossed) I am encountering is. The ffmpeg file which I have downloaded and put into my bin folder (so I am able to play mp3s, AAC, etc. Changes on it’s own from a .exe file into a document file. I have to delete it and put in a new copy of it everyday to have the ability to play the audio file formats described today.

This issue started when I moved my roon core from my spinning NAS drive to a SSD that plugs directly into the NAS. Everything else is working perfectly. I have restarted core many times. I have tried renaming the file to .exe but then Roon does not recognize it. I am using a Mac laptop, Q-nap NAS. and a small SSD for core. I did not see anyone else with this issue here. Also to note this was happening before the update yesterday or today.
Thanks for the help. @BlackJack ? (You seem to have the answers :slight_smile: )

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

You already discovered an older post which contains instructions (more instructions are available if you visit the thread linked therein or if you use the forum search):

I don’t know why you try that – AFAIK there were never instructions posted to do so. The content of your RoonOnNas/bin folder should look similar to mine:

Note: No need to rename anything! If you have to, then you’re doing something wrong. In this case please post a detailed description of what you’re doing (step-by-step).

Thanks, Re-read the thread.
I downloaded the correct ffmpeg, I added that to the bin folder. Roon app shows that it using a user supplied location. restart, Roon works perfectly. When I look at the bin folder where it lives. I see the correct icon and check the info it all looks correct. Every morning when I fire up Roon and try to play an mp3 or an aac file it will not. I go back and look at the ffmpeg file in the bin folder and it has been changed to a document file. If I delete it and redownlod the correct file and put it in the folder. It once again works perfectly. I did one time try to relabel the file .exe thinking that might be the problem but I did abandoned that thought after one time.

Not sure what is causing the file to change types by itself.

Thx M

That is not possible. Some software must be responsible for the change. From the looks of it, nothing changes (the file itself) but probably the exec(utable) flag gets removed by some software.

grafik

You can try and set the exec flag (again) for the file instead of recopying the file.

I guess it’s your job to figure out what software that may be. Ask yourself what is running daily and check the usual suspects first:

• Backup software
  • Antivirus/Security software (including Security Counselor)
  • Check the logs
  • Malware infection

Contact QNAP support if you need additional help to figure out what’s happening (probably) as, as far as it seems to me, this is unrelated to Roon or the RoonServer QNAP app.

1 Like

Thank you, yes I have never seen this behavior before. I have thought about what access’ it. I appreciate your help. I am looking on my NAS for the ffmpeg permissions pane that you showed above. Where is that located? I will try that first and then I will call the folks at Q-nap.
thx M

Use FileStation to access the file permissions and change them if needed.

Thank You, When I do this Permissions does not appear. So I will call Qnap. Thank You!

Thank you for your help. I spent an hour on the phone with QNAP support and wanted to post the results if anyone else encounters this problem. It’s not a QNAP or NAS issue either. It turns out it’s a Mac issue. It only appears to matter when the Mac was communicating with Roon Core on an external drive. Whenever I would launch the Roon App the Mac would change the ffmpeg file from exe to a document file. (It resides in the bin folder on the Roon Core folders) The Mac was trying to protect that file and changed it. We ended up having to go into terminal and type in code to make that file read only and type in some unix code which was found by a google search by the tech at QNAP. He found this on the Mac Rumours site. Other people were encountering a similar problem where the Mac was changing exe files to text files. He unfortunately did not send me the link for this code but QNAP support is now aware of the problem. I hope this may help someone in the future. m

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the update. What a very weird thing to do for macOS. Apple knows best - now for everything in your network. Huh.

Well, I spoke too soon. After restarting my computer the problem has resurfaced. Back at it on Monday. I need to find a savvy Mac guy!

I just wanted to finish up this thread, just in case anyone runs across this and needs a solution.

After looking here on the forum for answers and getting on the phone with Qnap support I found out this.

The most stable way to have your Roon core on a flash drive plugged into your NAS as an external drive is to plug the drive in and format it from the NAS. I no longer see this drive in my Mac Finder but it’s ability to talk to Roon and to the NAS works perfectly. I have had no problems what so ever in the last week.There are no issues playing any supported audio files. All Streaming radio works as well. If you run across a problem, post it here and I can walk you though my journey.

MAC
QNAP
EXTERNAL FLASH DRIVE (ROON CORE)

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.