Fiio M9 is not working as AirPlay device

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Microsoft Surface Pro 4, (Windows 10/Version 1.7 (build 610))

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

WIFI Vodafone Router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Fiio M9 with AirPlay

When connecting Fiio M9 via AirPlay to Roon there is no audio signal coming from the M9. The device is shown in Roon as AirPlay Audio Device and I can select it as a zone. Air Play is activated on the M9 and the signal seems to come in from Roon, but audio is mute. Audio with other apps on the M9 is working with no problems.

AirPlay via AppleTV is working in the same network!

Best regards
Frank

What’s the device settings for Volume set as?

Volume was set to 50, as with the other Apps (which worked) on the M9.

I mean the volume control method? Have your tried changing that?

Yes, I tried several settings for “Maximum” and “Fixed Volume Setting” if you mean that. Nothing works. It works perfectly when I use the M9 as an USB DAC on the Surface USB connection but not with AirPlay.

The M9 indicator light blinks for a very short moment when I start the song on Roon but then it is dark and no sound.

Does airplay work ok for other sources on it?

Yes, it works fine on the M9 with IPhone 11 as the source.

Odd but why use Airplay from Roon when yoy can install Roon on it and then play to it via RAAT via the app?

Thank you very much for your help and your patience, I really appreciate!

In my understanding the Roon App for the Fiio is just for the remote function to control my Roon core which is on the MS Surface. Installing it on M9 would only allow me to control the core from the M9 and not play music on it. Or am I wrong?

You are wrong. All remotes also allow local playback , for another remote to see it ensure private zone is disabled as it will be on by default. I use my phone to control my Hiby dap in this way. One thing to note is that Roon on Android will up or downsample to what the os tells Roon the DAC supports, it won’t rate switch but it will be higher quality than airplay.

One caveat on Android is also the device must support OpenGL not sure what the case is on the M9, just try it and see.

It works! Thank you very much!

I had to take the actual apk from the Roon site because the apk from Fiio whitelist was an old one. But then it worked. Quality is great!

I am totally new to Roon and did not get the local playback idea in the first place. You helped a lot!

3 Likes

Glad you sorted it.

Hi @Audio_Frank,

Glad to hear you were able to sort our this issue with @CrystalGipsy’s help!
If you run into any other questions as you get started with Roon, just let us know!

Thank you very much noris!

I am with Roon since yesterday and it is absolutely awesome! And overwhelming!

Big congratulations to such an exquisite piece of Software.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words @Audio_Frank and happy to have you as a subscriber!

One thing which I will mention, our Roon User Guide provides some great resources on “how Roon works”, so I suggest you give this a look as you dive deeper into Roon!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.