FiiO R7 - Desktop All-In-One

I doubt this very much a touch of exaggeration Martin. I would hope it’s better for the price difference. Given gTunes didn’t going down to the M11 to be so big a gap I would be surprised if the R7 was worse than the M11 it’s based on it I believe.

1 Like

I wil not cave. I’m stronger than you think.

You might have a point about 2000s era MP3 players, though. I recycled most of mine over the years but I did hang on to a couple of Zunes. Even recently bought this:

5 Likes

Maybe just a touch of exaggeration? Brought on by a bit of Malbec! :face_with_spiral_eyes:

But the M17 is clearly superior to my ears. However good the R7 is :heart_eyes:

I’m intrigued by the R7. If I bought it I would be using it exclusively in headphone mode for late night listening. Currently for night time listening I use an iPAD connected to the Mojo 2 DAC with USB C cable and play back music using either Roon or Apple Music. What benefits(if any)would I get from the R7 over my current setup, and would I expect an uptick in sound quality (however small)from the R7 over my current set up?
Basically I guess what I’m asking is am I just as well sticking with what I have? :rofl:

1 Like

If you’re happy with the Mojo 2, then I’d probably stay put.

The benefits of the R7 (which is why I switched from Mojo 2/Poly) are the wide range of outputs. For example, I wanted both 4.4mm and 4-pin XLR outputs to use with my balanced headphones.

Another advantage of the R7 for me was that it’s mains/DC powered. I got frustrated with the Mojo 2/Poly combo because the battery was always dead when I wanted to listen.

SQ wise, the Mojo 2 is probably ahead of the R7 too.

So unless you were really looking for a desktop solution like the R7, I’d probably stick with the Mojo 2.

2 Likes

Thanks Martin.

Would there be anything to be gained by hooking the Mojo 2 up to the R7 and using the Mojo’s DAC (presumably overriding the R7’s DAC?), or is that just over egging things/muddying the waters/a waste of time? :grinning:

1 Like

Hi Kevin,

There would be no benefit in using the R7 purely as a transport. You may as well stick with your iPad, which makes a perfectly reasonable transport :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks Martin.

I’m a 60’s child brought up on record decks, cassettes and CD’s and so although I understand streaming at a basic level when it gets to the more intricate stuff I struggle a bit, until some of the helpful and knowledgable people on here put me right lol.
I had read a few reviews saying it could be used with an external DAC, and so I just naively assumed that given that the R7 is first and foremost a device for playing music, and the iPAD has many other functions and not just a music player, then the R7 would trump the iPad performance wise when partnered with the Mojo 2.

Edit, I’ve just remembered I have the iFi Go Pods on order which I would not use with the Mojo 2 for obvious reasons, but could use with the R7, although saying that perhaps with the R7 and the Go Pods both having a DAC this might also be overkill. I’m guessing you know what the Go Pods are, but if not here is the link below.

I know I’m probably tying myself in knots here, but it’s always good to have choices and variations isn’t it haha?

1 Like

This isn’t necessarily true Kevin. Remember, the R7 is basically a computer too, and the iPad is as competent at ‘sending bits’ to your Mojo 2 as an R7 would be.

Remember, you could use your ‘GO pods’ with your iPad too, via Bluetooth. The only benefit the R7 would bring you is a wider range of BT Codecs. But, in my own experience, there’s nothing at all wrong with Apple’s AAC codec, which would work with your Go pod’s.

The problems with this hobby is that there’s always ‘something else’ you can buy. You’re always ‘chasing the dragon’ :money_mouth_face: But sometimes you have to critically analyse what (if any) improvements can be made by switching kit. And I speak from bitter experience here! :roll_eyes:

Just out of interest, what headphones are you using with the Mojo 2?

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply Martin,

Yeah that’s true about the Go Pods regarding the codecs, but I guess the R7 range of codecs is a small win over the iPad and to be honest that was all I was ever hoping for from the R7, some small wins. Like you say it also has a wider range of outputs, and it is mains powered too - so more small wins. It also has the SD card facility which I would put to use.I also quite like the look of it, the iPad/Mojo 2/USB C cable/wired phones config I have just now is quite untidy.
I know I probably am chasing the dragon here though. However I am about 60/40 that I am going to push the button on the R7, and what I would then do is sell the Mojo 2 on as tbh I only use it with the iPAD combo, I barely even use it OTG. And now I will soon have the Go Pods so they will be my OTG of choice when I’m out and about so the Mojo 2 is literally redundant. Selling the Mojo 2 would obviously help towards the cost of the R7 when I eventually sold it.
My timing is a bit out with hoping to sell the Mojo 2 right enough. It is in fantastic condition and could pass as new and I would have hoped to get £300-350 for it considering it cost me £495. However about a week ago all UK Chord dealers are offering it at £395 and the deal is valid until 31st August. So I might sit on it till then if I end up selling.

To answer your headphone question I use Focal Elegia’s or Meze Advar IEM’s.

1 Like

This is the main reason I plumped for the R7. I was fed-up of the bloody battery in my Mojo 2/Poly being flat when I wanted to listen :grimacing:

I’m sure if you do go down the R7-route, you’ll be more than happy. It’s a great Roon-Ready end-point.

1 Like

@Martin_Kelly

Doing some cramming on the R7, reading written reviews and watching Youtube reviews. My head hurts lol. Is there anything it can’t do?? !!
How long would you say it took you to get up to speed with all it can do? Or do you just use it simply to listen as a simple headphone setup?

1 Like

Hahaha!! Probably not Kevin :smiley:

It certainly is a very versatile bit-of-kit, but I tend to use it exclusively as a Roon-Ready end-point for headphone listening exclusively, in my bedroom. And it’s been faultless in this regard.

1 Like

Cool, yeah that’s probably how I’ll mainly use it.

Well I pulled the trigger earlier on, and got one of those crazy Amazon rapid delivery deals where they deliver same day before 10pm. Think it helps if you live relatively close to one of the Warehouses (like I do) and they have the item you want in stock.

1 Like

Enjoy Kevin! :smiley:

1 Like

I remember this, from Microsoft?

Indeed. And featured in the latest Guardians of the Galaxy which is why Microsoft did a limited-edition t-shirt that I grabbed :slight_smile:

1 Like

Latest Darko review of the Node X shows us the R7 and he brings it up to say a review coming. Interested to hear what he thinks.

2 Likes

With my Senny HD820’s via 4.4mm balanced cable, I can’t fault it:

Lol…proud owner of several iterations of Zune. Went and dug through my “old tech” box and found this beauty. I fought on the Zune side of the MP3 player battle for longer than I should have. For what it’s worth…I also lined up on the HD DVD side of the video battles. If you ever follow me to Vegas…do what I don’t do.

4 Likes