FiiO R7 - Desktop All-In-One

Darko just reviewed

6 Likes

I added it to my YT queue q short while ago and I am worried that if I watch it after a couple of Rums I might buy one :roll_eyes:
Might have to wait for tomorrow morning to watch it

3 Likes

Just ‘push the button’ Michael!

You won’t regret it! :hugs:

3 Likes

Spoiler alert. Don’t wish to double the fear Michael, but within the video he does a side by side comparison between the R7 and the Bluesound Node X :grinning:

2 Likes

That’s really a piss-poor comparison.

The R7 has so many more outputs, including a 3.5mm, 4.4mm Pentaconn, and even a 4-pin balanced XLR output. Never mind the inputs/outputs on the rear of the unit.

The comparison to the Node X is just BS.

Yes, the R7 can be bettered, without a doubt. It’s not perfect. But it takes a serious amount of money to better it :money_mouth_face:

And from our perspective, it functions as a perfect Roon end-point :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Darko does stuff like that, depending on what he has at hand. It’s not always the right comparison and sometimes it works well and sometimes it doesn’t

2 Likes

I already have a Bluesound PowerNode 2i and I am an not enamored with it.
It is sitting on a shelf waiting for me to sell it, but it has been on the shelf for a year already :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

They are the same price range so makes sense to compare the two options he has at hand. Both so similar things from different angles.

Since this has the play store, does anyone know if Arc works on this? Thinking of using it for an office setup away from home.

1 Like

I have the Node X. I have been using it for headphone listening. It works flawlessly and I like the sound I get from it. The R7 is intriguing, but I am happy where I’m at.

Yes, you can install ARC, but then all the content will resampled, if you’re not using an external USB DAC.

Is it possible to control it remotely using a smartphone app interface (like BluOS controller for Node) or is it exclusively “desktop” device?

There is no remote app for setting it up it’s via its own display. Some apps you can such as Fiios own music app has a remote for using, obviously Roon does and Spotify connect.

Roon Remote obviously works using a smartphone or tablet.

Maybe Teamviewer could be installed there - as on usual android device?

I was tempted last night to hit the purchase button after I watched it.

I decided to hold off due to a few factors.

For head-fi use on a desk it’s perfect I guess. My head-fi listening is generally on my sofa, feet up and my back to the table my setup sits on.

The screen is too small IMO.

One box solutions give the minimal factor, but not the upgrade path of mix and match.

I’ve started to use my spare iPhone as a wired end point to my USB DAC for use with either Roon and Apple Music. The cable is long enough not to pull my setup off the table.

2 Likes

I was very tempted to get one, but on investigation there are a couple of minor things it cannot do for me that I would want, but the biggest is that it does not have RCA in for my TT. It is also a couple of inches to tall to fit on top of my Kallax display where my TV is wall mounted which was a real disappointment when I measured it.

My current Matrix Audio does so much, that I need a review of all the things I use it for, before deciding if I can move it downstairs for other duties. This doesn’t say anything negative about the R7 though, just how much the Mini I-Pro 3 does for me.

2 Likes

I wrote to them and unfortunately they replied that I have to check it myself…
I don’t think I’ll buy it; I don’t feel like to experiment myself.

1 Like

You’d be better off with the M11 Plus, being portable it’s perfect for laying back and just listening anywhere in the house . It’s the same Roon Ready setup as the R7 and same DAC and the mobile version of the Headamp. It’s all I use for my headphone listening these days. Great device.

5 Likes

Have also been looking at that as well. :+1:

1 Like