File credits do not match "credited on" summary page

I’m staring at an imported CD that only has explicit credits for the production team, not the artists. And yet somehow, Roon “knows” about the artists and what instruments they play etc on that CD.

How? Lucky guesses?

Of course, if you look at each file’s credits, none of the artists are shown.

You know that Roon is all about online metadata and not about your file tags?

That’s interesting. I thought it was about something else, as I mentioned.

Why then does Roon allow editing of file tags? Regardless, if I rely only on Roon’s online database, should I not be “all about” letting them know when it appears to be nonsensical?

Feel free to give concrete examples where Roon’s metadata is nonsensical so it can be improved.

Thanks for the link; I’ll re-read it if needing advice.

In my example I used Roon to rip the CD, and so there are no tags to be interpreted from the flac files it created.

In my first post I highlighted how Roon’s “Credited on …” displayed data is not pulled from what Roon knows about the songs. And so that information is not editable. Hopefully my edits will eventually circulate back to Roon’s database for that CD.

I’ll continue to edit files to fill in some blanks, and ignore the “Credited on …” part of the interface.

Because sometimes (or often - depending on the music) the metadata provided by Roon’s sources (AllMusic, Musicbrainz) is not correct or incomplete, and you may want to add to or correct it

Roon’s metadata is in the Roon database and you can edit it within Roon. Nothing to do with the file tags.

It doesn’t. Roon is not a file (tag) editor. If you want to edit file tags you have to use an external tag editor for that.

As it is the case as of today: No this will not happen. A users database (including also all his edits) only exists on his Roon Core and is tied to his account. Nothing gets reported or circulated. That is why it is important to keep a current backup of Roon’s database – or you will loose all that work if the database ever gets corrupted or lost.

Why should that be the case? The primary catalog entry is the album. The tracks of an album are sub-entries of that album. Credits that are the same for all tracks of an album are given on album level and don’t necessarily have to be repeated for each track, I think.

As no specific album was named, no one can look into your case and verify anything and also no example was shown why what is known to Roon should not be enough or why Album credits have to be the sum of all track credits.

So this case feels a bit unresolved.

This helps me understand where the names and instruments they play are coming from … someone somewhere likely typed all of that in from the original liner notes source and it became a dataset uneditable from the end user. Great if it’s accurate, less so if it’s not.

I’m good, thanks.

It would still help if you could show in a screenshot what it is that is not editable. Note that you can edit, on the one hand, the credits on the album level:

But also on the track level. To edit one track, you can go here:

But you can also go here, which works for a multiple selection of tracks as well:

Now, it doesn’t really make sense to set the track level artists if they are all the same and consistent with the album level artists. However, if there are track level artists it enables the display in the credits for the tracks an artist was part of:

And if you click the purple link, it shows these tracks:

Shazam! Never noticed that before … thank you! That unlocks it. Mystery solved.

Part of my angst goes to the record label, which never cited credits on a per song basis for the artists (I know this from the liner notes from the CD.)

But that does not mean everyone played on all songs, as is the implication. They list 4 different lead singers but there is no song where more than one person sings lead. Unless you know what someone’s voice sounds like … you wouldn’t know which person was singing lead.

→ How do I change my display to select multiple tracks? I don’t see that in Preferences. Where you have checkboxes I have little purple Play buttons. Thanks.

1 Like

I find the automatic credits for many larger artists quite good, but often there are still errors like a wrong artist with the name XY being chosen. For smaller artists it’s very inconsistent and patchy. For my main artists, where it is very important to me, I had to heavily edit.

Note that currently it’s not possible to transfer one version to another, so with streaming services your edits might get attached to a version that you can’t play anymore. Therefore, I try to have local files for the albums that I heavily edit.

Whether the automatic credits have track level credits is very inconsistent. Again, larger artists have a better chance.

For the selection, unfortunately the documentation is incomplete:

For multi-select:

On touch devices:

• Tap and hold one item (e.g. a track or album).
  • The items will show a selection circle.
  • Tap additional items to add them to the selection. The circles will get a checkmark.

On laptop/desktop:

• Right click one item.
  • Click (left or right) additional items to add them to the selection.
  • To select a range: Right click the first item. Hold the Shift key on the keyboard. Click (left or right) the last item.
  • Select two ranges: Select first range as above. Then select second range in the same way, starting with a right click

Got it. Right-clicking / tap-hold on a song basically toggles on/off multi-track selection capability. Thanks again.

1 Like

Thanks for the shorter way to put it :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.