Files in Internal Storage don't play

I reinstalled Roon, but it made no difference.
Does erasing the internal storage and loading it again update the database? Or are you sure that is ok? I forgot it completely when I migrated to another NUC, so it is not updated.

Does anyone know how the relationship is between Roon database and Internal Storage?

• If internal storage is deleted, does that change anything in the database?

• If the files are then loaded back into the internal storage, will the database also be updated?

• In that case, is it necessary to update the database after a migration to another NUC, or does Roon take care of the adjustments?

In my case, all files are located correctly in Internal Storage, but Internal Storage (or the database) is disabled. And I can’t enable them. What’s happening here?

Does anyone know how to solve that? Or is the only solution to delete everything and start again? I hope not.

Does anyone know how the relationship is between Roon database and Internal Storage?
I will try my best to answer these, note that I am just another user so only going off what I have seen.

• If internal storage is deleted, does that change anything in the database? Yes
  • If the files are then loaded back into the internal storage, will the database also be updated?Yes
  • In that case, is it necessary to update the database after a migration to another NUC, or does Roon take care of the adjustments? Roon will take care of it

In my case, all files are located correctly in Internal Storage, but Internal Storage (or the database) is disabled. And I can’t enable them. What’s happening here? Could be a few things, I noticed that I have to click to the left of the three dots to get the drop down on my PC, the arrow cursor changes to a hand when it is over the hot spot. Have you tried to get the three dots drop down on your PC instead of your iPAD?

Does anyone know how to solve that? Or is the only solution to delete everything and start again? I hope not. If you can’t get the three dots drop down on any device, it may be time to try reformatting the internal storage from the WebUI, If that does not work you may need to start from scratch. And if that does not work… I am out of ideas… :grimacing:

P.S. Roon updates its database automatically as you add files or make settings adjustments or add playlists, etc. You can manually make a back-up or schedule automatic back-ups of the database and then restore that back-up manually. The back-up of the database is what is recommended to do before moving cores or making major changes. However, even if you don’t have a back-up to restore, Roon should still work and be able to see the internal storage. It just won’t have your previously created playlists and settings…

Can you access the NUC’s internal storage over the network?

IMO, regardless of any other problem, not getting a drop down menu in Settings==>Storage (even though the Web GUI recognizes the drive) points to a subtle Roon bug.

A few posts back he said that he can see the music on the Rock internal storage from his win10 PC.
So, It very well may be a bug on the iPAD.
Would like to know if they tried to get the drop down on the PC.

Yeah, I wondered the same thing, but didn’t get a reply.

Could be a bug in Roon’s menu logic also. Very strange.

No, I did’t make a Roon database backup yet. I had a hard, stupid problem with the streamer for about 16 months, and now it is solved I wanted to copy my local files to the intern storage first.

To get the drop down-menu on my Win10 PC, what files do I have to install on it: a Remote-installer? a Rooninstaller? I downloaded Rooninstaller64.exe. Is that the right file? What do I get on the pc then, just a remote or the whole roon install?

Yes, I can access the NUC’s Internal Storage over the network. If, on my PC, I go to Network > ROCK > Data > Storage > Internal Storage, I can see the 8 subdirectories with music that are in the Internal storage of the NUC.

In fact, I’m not that sure the way the files were copied to Internal storage was right. Is there a special procedure to run? I read things about it in Roonlabs, but it is not that clear to me. The same for the 8 directories; they were just copied from the NAS.

To see what happens, I deleted 1 file from the internal storage in ROCK > Data. I got the message that Roon Core was not found. Putting the file back didn’t repair things.

Time to reformat Internal Storage and load files again? But what’s the right procedure?

And hope it will work then.

To get the drop down-menu on my Win10 PC, what files do I have to install on it: a Remote-installer? a Rooninstaller? I downloaded Rooninstaller64.exe. Is that the right file? What do I get on the pc then, just a remote or the whole roon install?
The file you indicated should work. When you first start it, it will ask you what you want to do (set up a core or use the computer you are on as a remote to access an existing core). Once you do this properly, it will give you a remote to control the core that is on the NUC/ROCK

Is there a special procedure to run?
See this KB for how to put music on the NUC/ROCK:

Time to reformat Internal Storage and load files again? But what’s the right procedure?
Not yet, Try installing the remote on your PC and see if you can get the drop down for the NUC/ROCK storage. If that does not work then try Re-formatting the internal storage from the WebUI for the NUC/ROCK. See if the storage location is enabled or able to be enabled. If so, then use the above mentioned KB to get music back onto it. If not, it’s time to start from scratch (i.e. re-install ROCK from a usb thumb drive unless someone else has a better idea…)

After I removed a file from internal storage (and put it back in again) as a test yesterday, nothing worked anymore. I got stuck on the “Connect to another core?” screen. But ofcourse I only have 1 core and I was in a loop.

When I tried again this morning, at first I got the same thing back, but after a while the login screen appeared and I had to fill in several elements of the setup again. I went to Settings – Storage and read there:

Roon optimized Core Kit internal storage

Watch new files in real time

7807 files imported.

No more “Disabled” in red, and a click on the 3 dots immediately gave the desired drop-down menu: Force rescan – Disable – Edit.

Could it be that the attempt to change something in the internal storage solved the matter, but it took a while to sort everything out? It’s still a mystery to me.

Anyway, my local music is playing. Many thanks to everyone who responded and helped find a solution.

I suspect logging in again (and starting from scratch) is what resolved the glitch. Hopefully now you’re all set and can enjoy the music.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.