Files in Internal Storage don't play

Roon Core Machine

Intel NUC10i5FNH
RAM: 2x8 GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 2666MHz
Internal storage: 1TB Samsung SSD 870 EVO
Operating System OK, Version 1.0 (build 254)
Roon Server Software OK, Version 2.0 (build 1182)

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Modem/Router: Orange CH6643E, ethernet, no wifi.
Switch: TP Link SG108
No VPN.

Connected Audio Devices

Aqua LinQ
Synology DS118.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

My music (local files) are stored on the NAS. I completely forgot but few months ago I copied them to Internal Storage in the NUC. I don’t know what I did exactly but they do not play.

The webUI says:
Internal Music Storage OK, 1000GB, Samsung SSD 870, 69% of 924 GB available.
Settings - Storage tells: Roon Optimized Core Kit Internal Storage: Disabled (in red).

On my Windows-PC Network > Nas-station > Music I see all the music-files.
And under ROCK > Data > Storage > Internal Storage the same.

How can I best (the easiest and safest) activate the intern storage?

In Settings==>Storage, Enable the storage

I see the screen Storage, Folders with the three vertical points, but nothing happens when I try to click on them.

Are you saying you don’t get the drop down menu I showed in the post above when you left click on the 3 dots? That would be strange.

It’s on my iPad. I can’t left click. I can only touch with my finger. And I do not get the drop down menu.

What size drive is the OS installed on?
Just to confirm, the 1TB drive is the second drive in the NUC, correct?
Was it formatted in the NUC by Roon or added later?

Drive size of the OS-drive: 256 GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus.
The 1TB is in the bottom of the NUC.
Before this NUC I had another one. If I remember well, the 1TB drive came from the previous NUC. I don’t think I reformatted it, but not sure.
What if I simply format it in this NUC. It’s not a disaster for those 20 Cobuz albums on it. I will find them back.
What do I have to do to continue then?

If it shows up in the Web GUI and in Settings==>Storage, it should be formatted okay. No matter what, it seems like you should get some drop down menu.

Restart the Roon iOS app. Maybe it’s locked up somehow…

Try it.

I’m going to check that tomorrow (not next year) :smile:. No time anymore now.
But in each case, thank you for the help already.

This morning I restarted everything, but it makes no difference.
Note that I was wrong yesterday saying that there are only 20 albums in Intern Storage. All of them are there offcourse. Luckily I also have one or two backups, but I remember it took a lot of time to get the files in the Internal Storage (rather slow).
Maybe I forgot something during that setup that has to be corrected.

You should be able to open the three dots menu, it’s weird. This is my iPad, after one tap on the three dots:

What do you see in the Web Admin page , this is mine

does yours look like this , if so it is OK , maybe post a screenshot

As @Suedkiez shows , post a shot of Setting>Storage as well

If i am not mistaken you MUST format the drive from within ROCK , if its only a few albums then reformat and copy back

Copying across the network can be slow as you noticed , mine took nearly 24 hrs for 4Tb

Yeah, it seems to have been formatted correctly. Why he can’t get a drop down menu is strange.

@guiver, can you get to Settings==>Storage that runs on a PC or Mac, rather than an iOS device?

On an iPad the Settings > Storage 3 dots is simple tap , not a long tap (long tap is equiv of RH Mouse Click)

This is quite odd , if the SSD was externally formatted would that have an impact ? I formatted mine via ROCK

You said:

Was the previous NUC ROCK or something else? Do you know “how” it was formatted? (NTFS, FAT32, exFAT)
Formatting would be the last option if all else fails.

If you can get to three dot drop down like @xxx said above and “enable” the drive that would be the best option.

The previous Nuc also was an Intel NUC with ROCK installed. I don’t think I formatted the internal storage externally then, but did it in the Web UI page.
I also tried again to get the three dots drop down menu, but it doesn’t work → still “Disabled” in red.
I suppose I did something wrong or forgot something during the transition to the new NUC.
Maybe I should have done something with the database or something?

OK, if not, the simpliest way will be to just format the drive in the WebUI and load (copy) the files again.
Can you please inform me about the steps to be taken to bring that to a good end. I am a bit older allready and my brain doen’t work anymore as it did some years ago. :roll_eyes:

But it’s New-Year here. So for everybody
A happy New Year.

The problem is still there. May I summarise it for a new start.

Roon Core Machine
Intel NUC10i5FNH
RAM: 2x8 GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 2666MHz
Internal storage: 1TB Samsung SSD 870 EVO
Operating System OK, Version 1.0 (build 254)
Roon Server Software OK, Version 2.0 (build 1182)

Networking Gear & Setup Details
Modem/Router: Orange CH6643E, with ethernet, no wifi.
Switch: TP Link SG108

Connected Audio Devices
Aqua LinQ
Synology DS118.

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue
Few months ago I installed a new NUC (from Intel NUC8i5BEH to Intel NUC10i5FNH).

I moved the internal storage SSD (formatted in Roon) to the new NUC (8500 tracks, 1TB ssd). The old NUC is no longer in the system. I don’t remember exactly what I did (or what I forgot) but I can’t play that music.

The webUI says: Internal Music Storage: OK, 1000GB, Samsung SSD 870, 69% of 924 GB available.
On my iPad, Settings - Storage tells: Roon Optimized Core Kit Internal Storage: Disabled (in red). Nothing happens when I try to open the drop-down menu with the three vertical dots, so I cannot enable.

On my Windows10-PC: Network > Nas-station > Music, I see all the music files (as a backup), and under ROCK > Data > Storage > Internal Storage: all the music files are shown again.

So, all seems to be there, but I can’t activate and play the intern storage. What is going wrong? I’m afraid it’s the database that is not updated. In that case, how do I solve that?

PS: All works fine playing Qobuz.

I suspect that it’s the fact that you transferred the SSD from your old ROCK/NUC to the new ROCK/NUC that has caused this glitch.

If you’ve got a backup of your music files held elsewhere, then I think you will have to invoke the nuclear option: use the Web Administration page to Format the storage and copy across the music files from your backup to the SSD again.

I have three backups, so no problem.
If you think that will work, I start it immediately.
Nothing to do with the database that was not updated?

Well, the fact that your internal storage is showing as Disabled and you can’t activate the 3 dots menu is a concern.

Perhaps the first thing to try, before reformatting the SSD, is to reinstall Roon OS using the Web Administration page. This won’t erase your settings or your database, but it might remove the 3 dots menu glitch…