Files ripped with ffmpeg are sometimes ignored

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

MacPro, 10.12.6, Roon Server 1.6 (401)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All Ubiquiti of assorted models. Everything is Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

All Roon bridges, Ethernet connected

Description Of Issue

I timeshift radio shows using ffmpeg, dropping the files into a watched folder. If I run a sample recording:

ffmpeg -i http://netcast.kfjc.org/kfjc-192k-aac -t 30 test.m4a

the file shows up in Roon, and can be played.

Longer recordings (3 hours, in this case):

ffmpeg -i http://netcast.kfjc.org/kfjc-192k-aac -t 10800 ZeroGravity.m4a

appear to record correctly, play audio when previewed in Finder, but fail to import into Roon. The skipped files report says “Audio Stream Format Not Supported”.

Sometimes, if I move those recordings into another folder, Roon decides they are OK, and imports them.

Suggestions?

Do the files get written directly into the watched folder? If so, that could be the problem - then it might be better to only copy finished recordings; not sure if that’s doable with ffmpeg.

They do. I don’t know if ffmpeg lets me do this, but since the whole process is handled by a script, I can probably add this step.

However, I would think forcing a re-scan of the folder would correct this, but it does not.

Worth a try, anyway.

Hi @Steve_Kalkwarf,

If these files always show up after being moved, it’s most likely that they’re being written to the watched folder as u_gee suggested. If an incomplete file is being written to the folder when Roon tries to import it, that could cause issues with the import (which is why it would show in Skipped Files).

Saving these files to a location outside of your watched folder and then adding them to the watched folder when complete is likely your best bet here.

I can confirm that moving the file after the recording completes appears to work correctly.

Thanks for the help.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.