Filters take up 10s when filtering the Artist and Track View

Roon Core Machine

Roon 2.0, build 1259
Linux based server / OSX remote
Intel Core I5/8400
64GB RAM (50+ available)
Tiered storage (cold 300MB/s+, hot 1000MB/s+)
Neither CPU nor storage is stressed

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Gigabit Ethernet >Cable> Unmanaged Cisco Gigabit Switch >Cable> Fritzbox
No problems with Network / Internet Connectivity

Number of Tracks in Library

large, 100k+

Description of Issue

Applying filters to the “Artist” and “Track” view takes a very long time (at least 5s, sometimes 10s). The behavior has been introduced recently - probably 2-3 releases ago. Before filters were applied instantaniously as soon as letters were added to the search box.

Interestingly the album view is still as fast as it always was. There is no delay at all and it does not matter if I search for artists or album names.

I assume that there is something wrong with the DB. Maybe an index was removed?
I am also seeing that the CPU shows some load when running these filter queries. But only for 1/6 cores and not even that is maxed out (maybe 50-60% for a moment). The storage pool is idling and does not show any extra load at all. When applying filters to the album view the CPU does not show any peak at all.

Karsten

some ideas to try:
Reboot everything?
clear image cache (settings/setup)
clean up library (settings/library)
If you have a good DB backup from before the issue, try restoring it?

The above being said, I have seen a few others mentioning that they are seeing similar issues.

Hi bearFNF,

good points, cleared the image cache and also cleaned the library. Then I restarted the client SW and also the whole server, waited until Roon did all the prep work (CPU and storage were idling again) but the behavior is unfortunately still the same.

I have DB backups but Roon is quite actively used and I would probably loose quite some metadata (tags, playlist updates, …). So you think that my DB is corrupted and your instances with latest Roon do not show that behavior for very large DBs?

Karsten

Take this with a grain of salt as my data set is exceedingly small. I am just going off what I see/read in the forums, I am just another user here so no access to any inside info. As far as I can, tell it is random so far, some have mentioned issues some have chimed in to say they do not (with large libraries). My library is much smaller (18k tracks, 550 artists) and I don’t see any delay for what it’s worth. Mostly chimed in with some ideas. Any chance it’s network congestion related (if you are using a streaming service) or something to do with the linux install?

Appreciate your help, the server is quite capable and CPU (Intel 6 Core), RAM (64 GB), Disc (DB is on a 1000-1500 MB/s SSD) and Network (up to 10Gbit wired) are idling pretty much. I recently had a problem with instant search as this was sending a lot of data to the Internet for large libraries but this problem was solved with latest Roon release. Instant search comes back in 0-2s and when I apply filters to the album view it happens instantaniously. The behavior changed for the artist and track view only and my upstream isn’t showing any extra load when applying filters (that’s different for instant search), the disc system does not show any extra load and one of the CPU cores shows 50-60% for a short time. That’s not the case for the album view and I really believe that the DB isn’t accelerated for these queries anymore and Roon needs to iterate through the whole library/resultset (and CPU goes up in consequency, the data is probably kept in the RAM).

Can you try to filter in the album view and then in the artist view. Are both coming back without any latency? The album view shows almost no latency for me - results are filtered as I am typing letters. So it is much closer to 0s than to 1s. Is this the case for you as well? Is the artist view slower or showing some latency? In case you would see the same behavior but my DB is significantly bigger and this will then sum up.

I think the server / the installation is fine. Rest of Roon works like a charm - I am not seeing a lot of latency when using the UI, navigating or streaming music.

1 Like

Edit: When I filter in album view the result it instantaneous as a I type. no latency in album view.
I do see a slight lag in the artist view (548 artists). If I filter activate my favorites (33 artists) there is no lag. so it might be down to the number of artists?

Not sure what else to do about this. May need to wait and see if support has any input.

I find that I have a slight lag when using filter to find an artist, or when on the Tracks page and filtering on Track Title or Artist. For me it is just slow enough to be noticed, certainly not 5s.

I still get 3 grey bars before the review pops in on albums or artists. That is very annoying.

Hm, did similar queries for my tags. My biggest album collection has 120 albums and my favorite artist collection covers 70 artists. Both collections show up immediately and filters are applied as I am typing. I think it only affects the artist and track view - nothing else. I also noticed that pictures are not immediately rendered - this also only affects these two views.

The only other dialog where I see a little bit of latency is the Focus box in the album view. There it sometimes takes 0,5s but that’s fine (and definitely not 5-10s)

On top of that I had a look at my ‘hot rotation’ playlist. This is a playlist with 1500 songs which is quite massive. Even filtering this does not show the same wait times.

What exactly do you mean by the 3 grey bars?

Enabling the favorites doesn’t change anything for me. Did only flag 20 artists (or so) as favorites. Even when it is pre-filtered to these a filter query takes 5-10s.

The composer view is fast as well - there is 2000 (artists is 4000) and all results pop up immediately.

Let’s wait for support, there is something wrong with Roon itself, I believe.

1 Like

Roon Team, this issue does still persist. Any feedback?