Finding Albums added but not identified by Roon

Taylor Swift album
Okay in Fix Songs 43 SongKong was matching to the correct Taylor Swift release

however it couldnt save to all songs, I expect because you were playing them in Roon or doing something else with them

So then you retried with Fix Songs 44 but I think problems in previous run confused it, so that it did match all tracks to one album

but matched to the 3 X Vinyl version rather than the 2 X Cd version that yo had

which has probably confused Roon since yo now 2 subfolders but mapped to a release with 3 discs, so would expect 3 folders.

Running again but with For Songs Aready Matched temporarily set to Rematch may resolve it if matched to 2cd version. Would also possibly help if yo updated to latest version of SongKong.

Argent Hold your head up

In Fix Songs report 45 you tried to match Argent Hold your head up album

Notice that the MusicBrainz barchart is a different colour blue, and doesnt quite extend to 100% This is because it only matched to MusicBrainz song only it didnt find the album.

It did match the Discogs album, but Roon doesn’t use Discogs

Also it matches to a 2 CD album but all your songs are in one folder, so that may confuse Roon

Rerunning may allow MusicBrainz album match using the info added first time round, and that may then fix for Roon

Chi-Lites, Good to be forgotten

In report 46 tried to match to Chi-Lites, Good to be Forgotten, same as previous only matched song only to MusicBrainz, and complete album to Discogs, worth rerunning.

Also I notice your sub-folder naming convention is not helping. Although in some cases you have subfolder for each disc, the first folder name does not indicate it is disc 01 and SongKong sometimes ending up treating each folder independently because of this.

e.g

Would be better if folders were simply named

Disc 01
Disc 02

or even

Too Good To Be Forgotten; Best Of:Disc 01
Too Good To Be Forgotten; Best Of:Disc 02

rather than

Too Good To Be Forgotten; Best Of
Too Good To Be Forgotten; Best Of:Disc 02

Hi Paul,
Thank you! That has helped. Have updated to the latest version and rescanned the 3 albums in question. They are no longer appearing in the unidentified list and the number has reduced as you would hope.
It seems that updating in SongKong without touching the files in roon is enough, not sure how this works but all good.
Will use your suggestion of Disc 01, Disc 02 in future as this seems to help.
I usually manage the process on a roon work folder on my mac but presumably songkong can be used in the actual roon HDD instead?
Thanks again.

Great, so you usually run SongKong on work folder, then copy them over to Roon afterwards, I think that is the best way to do it usually.

If you ran SongKong on some Roon folders and it worked without you having to inform Roon then I think Roon monitors Files modified within folders under its control but it may not notice 100% of the time, more experienced roon users could probably answer this question better than me. This may not work identically on different platforms (e.g Windows/Linux)

Pardon me for jumping in here, but Roon seems to be happier with boxset sub folders simply named CD01, CD02 … CDnn. It’s always worked for me…

1 Like

Thanks, yes that is good also.

Still having a little difficulty. Roon still unable to identify most of the albums i have tried after running past songkong, the file naming Disc 01 and )2 seems to work though.
I will send another support file just in case.

Had a look at your support files, all albums except ChiLites have matched to correct MusicBrainz album. So have you asked Roon to rescan because as I said earlier it doesnt always pick up changes, see How do I force an album update?

Thanks Paul. I have tried rescanning and it has worked on some albums. I did Roon was looking at some kind of duplicate of my content and have disabled that so its now just looking in the right place happily. I also edited several of the unidentified albums that had no artwork and sometimes no artist/title! Now they all seem to be visible but remain unidentified so not sure how that impacts on them coming up in searches etc.
It would still be helpful to have a step by step guide on how to edit an album to move from unidentified to identified though!

All I can do at the SongKong end is continue to improve the algorithm so it matches more albums, and adds the metadata that is compatible with Roon.But if album has been identified in SongKong but that album is not yet in the Roon algamated database then it will not be shown as identified in Roon, although the metadata added by SongKong is visible in Roon - so even if not identified still usable.

If matched to MusicBrainz album then should be identified by Roon, but Roon doesnt use live MusicBrainz database so I dont know the details of what exactly they have in their database. They don’t currently use Discogs, so if SongKong matched to Discogs but not MusicBrainz that may not be identified if the album is not in their algamated database (which contains Amg data as well as MusicBrainz).

A Roon guide for moving from unidentified to identified would be a roon specific thing that I cannot add much to, and it it is not possible if the album is not actually in roon database.

Thanks Paul, there is no doubt SongKong has helped a lot!
Perhaps Roon could have a way to advise when a CD is not identified and they could action an update? I use an app called ‘My Movies’ which does something similar that seems to work.

There are alot of improvements to matching algorithm in new SongKong 9.4 release. Would be good to try it and see if that increases matches, i expect it should.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.